Summer Sausage, Cheese & Butter My Oh My!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

driedstick

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 3, 2011
N. Central Idaho
Well, Sunday Morn, 8:30am Looked like the temp was going to be just right for some smoking Today during the Seahawks game.

Decided to do Some summer sausage, 80/20 beef just butchered last week.

Zesty, will be a good one to do it says to add pork but I decided to go all beef.

All stuffed up in 2 1/2" X18" Clear fibours casings.

Since I stuffed, mixed this morning, there was no need to do one hr room temp so smoker is up and going at 115* and holding steady, I will put these in at 10a.m for 1hr then bump up 10* each hr till 165* or so. and wait for the IT to 152*.

Using Hickory on this one in the amps.

With the cool weather did not need to microwave the pellets at all they lit and stayed lit.

Now with the start of the Cheese, and butter, two batches.

1st batch

Apple in the ampts. each batch about 3hrs and the tube just made the time never had to refill.

Gouda, Habanaro, Chipolte, Havarati Dill, and Chipolte Jack

It was a very busy day and very good game.

1st batch came out with some good color.

Batch #2

2 1/2hrs In I went and checked oh! oh!

Thought 2 1/2 is good so took cheese off and wrapped and put the rack with butter on it into the fridge to get the butter hard again, had a little heat spike, when I checked it was at 70* inside, only 64 outside temp but If I would have ad a frog matt or Matt from Todd I don't think this would have been as bad.

Well all in all it came out good, the summer sausage took way way longer that it has in past I checked temps with 3 different thermometers and all 3 red same, could not get sausage past 145 when I checked at 9pm LAST NIGHT, so I said hell with it and left it in overnight at 162* not trying to get it dried out, this morning, yanked them out at 6:45 and they were right at 152** I gave them a quick shower bath in Ice and thru them in the fridge, It does not look like I got "fat out" but I think they may be a bit dry?????

Almost 21hrs or so in smoker, just a stall I guess.

Well thanks for looking I will try to post more pics of the final product tonight when I vac Pac them.

Looks great DS. Looking forward to seeing the sliced pics an hearing how the SS turned out after the long smoke. I have about 20 pounds of cheese going in this week!!!!!!

Looks great DS. Looking forward to seeing the sliced pics an hearing how the SS turned out after the long smoke. I have about 20 pounds of cheese going in this week!!!!!!
Thanks DS - wow that's a lot of cheese, all in one batch?

It all looks GREAT! it is going to get cool here this weekend. I already have cheese waiting for the smoke.

Happyu smoken.

David
 Thanks David, yep I think fall in in the air, Snowing here in the mt's already, going to be a long winter I think

Yummy!  Love smoked cheese!  Haven't done the butter yet.  BUT...I do like making my own butter when I can get fresh milk.

Kat

I was just looking at the Buttermilk Smoked Turkey recipe (with Fall coming up and all...) and thinking about making the Garlic butter to stuff under the skin - now with this post I think I'll smoke that butter before mixing the garlic in with it! Should be awesome!!

Yummy!  Love smoked cheese!  Haven't done the butter yet.  BUT...I do like making my own butter when I can get fresh milk.

Kat
Thanks Kat, we love it to most of this will be stock for gift baskets for X-mas

I was just looking at the Buttermilk Smoked Turkey recipe (with Fall coming up and all...) and thinking about making the Garlic butter to stuff under the skin - now with this post I think I'll smoke that butter before mixing the garlic in with it! Should be awesome!!
Ya that sounds great. good luck.

Very nice DS.....................................
icon14.gif

Looks great. What part of Idaho? I am North of CDA. I am looking forward to making some summer sausage. My smoker has not been built yet so may be a little while.

Looks great. What part of Idaho? I am North of CDA. I am looking forward to making some summer sausage. My smoker has not been built yet so may be a little while.
Thanks Idaho, I am just south of you in Lewiston. Good luck on your smoker, if you need any help just let us know here on the forum and someone will help ya.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky