Summer Sasauge Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duffman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Nebraska - Go Big Red!
So I got a recipe from my Dad for some Summer Sausage he use to make when I was a kid. He never put them in cases he just wrapped them in foil and baked them.I am looking to augment this for my smoker. In his recipe it says to mix the meat and spices then wrap them in foil and refrigerate for 24 hours. Then poke holes in the foil and bake at like 350. For smoking should I take them out of the foil or will the holes in the foil let the smoke in? I have never done sausage before and do not have the tools for using casing so would that work? Also what temp should I take the sausage to? Thanks for any help.

A couple things I wouldn't run your smoker at 350°. I wouldn't wrap them in foil if you want smoke. Look through Bearcarver's step by step index. He has several recipes for caseless snack sticks and bearloafs. You can also use corn husks which are easily found in most Hispanic stores or on the mexican food aisle. I think Disco did a post on using corn husks once.

Bearcarvers is good, I am going to try to do mine this weekend, I use slightly different seasonings and this time I am going to stuff mine, just for giving away purposes thou. 

Good luck and let us know how it goes!! We love pics

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

I was going to use ground pork and ground hamburger. Any suggestions on the fat percentage I should be looking to buy? an 80/20 or 75/25? Or does it even matter?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky