Storing Hog Casings Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Dec 29, 2009
Savage, MN
I have some extra hog casings after I made some sausage last night that have been washed and soaked in water.

Can I repack them in salt, or do I have to throw them away?

I put the opened package with the rest of the casings in the fridge.

THANKS!

TJ

In the Rytek Kutas book it says

"If you don't use all the casings, they can be re-salted instead of discarded. Simply squeeze all the water out of the casing, don't rush it. Let them lay in a noodle collander to drip dry, squeeziong the water out from time to time. When fairly dry, sprinkle salt (Do not use iodized salt, purified would be the best) on casings, plase in a container and referigerate. Don't over do it with the salt. Take notice how salted these casings were before you got started and try to replicate these conditions"

Hope this helps

I always resalt my unused casings ad throw them back in with the rest
I buy a hank at a time and dont always pull out just the right amount

I drain and then re-pack with salt and freeze them. Never a problem

I haven't had any casing left yet but then I have had to get more out of the pack and soaked them again. Now I have heard that you could re-salt them but I just threw them away cause they give you soo much when I bought the sausage kits.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky