St Louis Spares

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crewdawg52

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 7, 2007
Brighton, MI
Haven't put anything on the forum pic wise lately (the mrs lost the camera and we had to get a new one. Still learning the ropes.) But I'll try with this one. YEA!!!! Pics of raw meat!

Spares St Louis style (because I wanted too).

Full rack of spares uncut.

Top part (sternum & "knuckles"), skirt, and membrane removed. Also trimmed to look purddy. To trim, feel where the end of the ribbone is. Cartilage starts there. Make a cut along the length of the rack. Save and smoke for "tasties"

Rubbed with Billy Bones Rub

In the Kettle for the smoke!

Updates to come.

Might be just me dude, but I can't see the top 3 pics.

And speaking of St Louis spares.....looks like we may need a few spare cardinals.....what the heck! We lost Roland the other day and lost Ecky and Edwards today.....man...where's the love!

crewdawg, it sure sounds good!
smile.gif

For some reason, I'm getting a red X instead of the rib pictures....I bet they look good though.
(probably my computer)

The kettle came out good but the others are just little squares with red Xs. Nice looking kettle though!!
icon_wink.gif

Keith

Like I said earlier, new camera and still learning the ropes. Had all pics on the descktop, but like everyone else, did'nt get the first 3 pics on the laptop. Tried it again, resized, etc. Got them all on the laptop. Hope they turn out.

BTW.......ribs smokin along...

There they are.....and looking good!
Can't wait to see your finished photos crewdawg.
smile.gif

Well, they looked good going in......and using Billy's rub sure ain't gonna ruin them.........it's all on you now. LOL

When do we eat?

Dawg! I like how you trimmed those up! Never though to do that, is it what makes them St. Louis spares? The trimming I mean?
And your photos came through just fine on my screen.
Jimbo

I can see the top 3 pics, but not the kettle shot. Might be my PC, looking forward to the Q View final!

I know you asked Dawg, but I'll be his little intern (not the Monica type). Trimming the skirt and removing the rib tips down to the knuckles is what makes spare ribs STL style. I know most people cook the tips as well, but unless I'm chopping them up for beans, the dog usually gets them. Wastefull, I know, but the flavor just doesn't do it for me and the connective tissue never quite gets broken down enough for my desires. I'm the dog's best friend when cooking spares!

Here's the results. Turned out fantastic! Love that rub. Sorry it took so long to post. Got distracted last night.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky