Spatchcock Smoking Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thebig1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2016
Kingston, PA
So I've been reading a lot of threads about smoking everything and see that when smoking a pork butt or any other type of large piece of meat which takes a few hours that you continue to smoke it until it reaches a certain temperature and then cut the smoke until it reaches it's final temperature.  Now I understand that some don't and that it's relative to each person.

My point and question is, when smoking poultry, whether it be a spatchcock chicken or wings, do you smoke it the entire time or is there also a middle time/temp to cut the smoke off?

I appreciate any feedback.

Chad

When i spatchcock a bird I usually smoke the whole time and at a higher temp then some things. 275-290 degrees for a few hours usually does it but i watch the IT of the thigh i take it to 170 degrees and check the breast to make sure its 165 degrees. i don't worry about a few degrees over or a resting/holding increase because slightly higher temp chicken is ok. If i'm making pulled chicken (which i never do with a whole bird but usually dark meat) I may take it 185 degrees. pull it apart and smother in your favorite sauce and it makes good sammies or over rice as my wife likes it.

Since this thread is worthless without pics...Here is one i smoked entirely a couple months ago...

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

Thanks Phatbac, I appreciate your input.  That bird looks amazing!  I'm going to throw one on for Sunday's dinner.

I thought that you'd smoke it the entire time due to the faster time but just wasn't sure.

Chad

oh btw i recommend rubb under the skin and butter/oil the skin and smoke then when you get to about 155 or so degrees at the breast-- 160 at the thigh go ahead and mop/brush on your sauce and turn your temp down (220-225) if you are running hotter to set up the sauce but not burn it. or you can let people sauce to taste if every like different sauce.

Hope this helps,

phatbac (Aaron)

Thanks Aaron, it certainly does help.  We always rub under the skin.  But let me ask you this, do you rub under the skin and on top of the skin also?  I always do both.

Chad

When i leave the skin on i do a bit of both but often since those at my house don't care for chicken skin i simply pull it off everything but the wings. When i do cook sin on i'm worried about getting crispy skin since the rub wont penetrate it very much i try to get oil/butter on there. rub usually get into the middle of the meat by following the salt that absorbs (which is in almost all rubs) you can do something similar with a brine if you like but i found with smoked chicken brine isn't crucial although i do i do it occasionally.

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

Aaron, thank you for your expertise.  I plan on doing a buttermilk brine with my chickens.  I'm hoping that they turn out as good as yours look.

Thanks again,

Chad

Nice color on the Bird  Looks good  ----------  Points

Gary

I certainly will Al.  I'll be sure to take many pics and write a detailed report on all of the food that I'll be making.

Spatchcock Chicken

ABT's

Cob Corn

Chad

So I've been reading a lot of threads about smoking everything and see that when smoking a pork butt or any other type of large piece of meat which takes a few hours that you continue to smoke it until it reaches a certain temperature and then cut the smoke until it reaches it's final temperature.  Now I understand that some don't and that it's relative to each person.

My point and question is, when smoking poultry, whether it be a spatchcock chicken or wings, do you smoke it the entire time or is there also a middle time/temp to cut the smoke off?

I appreciate any feedback.

Chad
Hey Chad.

You were talking about cutting off the smoke at a set temp when doing a pork butt.  The reason people do that is because they have foiled the meat.  Smoke won't penetrate the foil, so there's just no reason to waste the smoking wood at that point.  If you decide not to foil, and just leave the butt be until it gets through the stall, then you can let the smoke roll.  Or not, depending if you want more or less smoke flavor.  The only reason to stop the smoke at any other time during a cook is if you have decided that you don't want as much smoke flavor on the meat

Gary

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification Gary, that's great knowledge for a beginner such as myself.

Truly appreciated
Chad

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky