Spatchcock Chicken on Lang 36"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

twoalpha

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 20, 2014
Lexington, NC
Spatchcock Chicken. I have done a lot of chicken many ways in the past and wanted to try my hand at Spatchcocking this bird. In the end I have to say that this is a great way to prepare a tasty yard bird.

Pick up this 6# beauty for $.89/lb for this smoke. After rinsing with cold water mixed up a dry rub of spices and applied to both sides and let set out for 30 minutes while the Lang was stabilizing at 300.

Placed it on the Lang breast side up for the duration. Took 3 hours for the breast to reach IT of 167 and the thighs were at 170. During the last 15 minutes added some BBQ sauce as the final topping.

Skin was good bite through and seasoned just right. Next time I will probably leave the sauce off and just serve it on the side or apply sooner and dry it up a little more. Still a great smoke, very tender and juicy.

Hope you enjoy.

Larry

Great price on this chicken

Dry rub applied

On the Lang for 2 hours

Was a smoking day and finished 5# of Sticks on the MES

After 3 hours and looking great

Added some BBQ sauce just before removing

After a short rest and ready for carving

Carved into nice pieces

Plated and ready to eat.

Thanks for looking 

Nice looking chicken Larry!

I can see how juicy it is.

The sticks are looking pretty good too!

POINTS!!

Al

That looks like quality Q! Good job Larry!

Looks-Great.gif

Points!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

Larry that looks great and you don't have to be afraid of carrots Points

Richie

Larry, That's some awesome looking bird. I think spatching is the only way to go. I do both chickens and turkeys now and the family loves them. I really enjoyed the pics. Joe :points:

Great looking bird Larry. I spatch 99% of my whole birds, even turkeys. They just cook better.

POINTS!!!!

Last edited:

Nice looking chicken Larry!

I can see how juicy it is.

The sticks are looking pretty good too!

POINTS!!

Al
Al 

Chicken seemed to hold in the juices. Had very little in the catch pan during the smoke.

Thanks for the comment and the points.

Excellent looking yard bird TA........
first.gif
     Nice sticks too.................
icon14.gif

Points!!!!

Ive done just a few spatchies now, and for some reason the skin turns out almost inedible. Way too smoky and rubbery like leather, while the meat is amazing I would love to be able to eat the skin too.

Im aware of the issues of it not being crispy due to the tem-p, and honestly I like a tender skin too, so im not looking for crisp. Any recommendations from anyone to make the skin more edible?

Ive thought of spritzing with something throughout, and maybe the BBQ sauce you did helped too, so I may try that. I have tried putting butter both under and on the skin and that didn't really help either. What do you guys think?

Sorry to hijack your post!
hijack.gif

Ive done just a few spatchies now, and for some reason the skin turns out almost inedible. Way too smoky and rubbery like leather, while the meat is amazing I would love to be able to eat the skin too.

Im aware of the issues of it not being crispy due to the tem-p, and honestly I like a tender skin too, so im not looking for crisp. Any recommendations from anyone to make the skin more edible?

Ive thought of spritzing with something throughout, and maybe the BBQ sauce you did helped too, so I may try that. I have tried putting butter both under and on the skin and that didn't really help either. What do you guys think?

Sorry to hijack your post!
hijack.gif
What temp you cooking at ?

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky