Spare ribs need advice fast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cracker1397

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
Orlando
I have been cooking my first rack of ribs ever on my wsm and used the 3-2-1 method with temps ranging 225-245 mainly around 240. My question is I have 0 pull back on the bones and also the bend test doesn't show any splitting between the ribs at the bend. It's been the full 6 hours plus another 30 mins. I know IT doesn't get tested with ribs but I did it anyways because I was curious. It says 160*. I would figure 190 would be closer to what I want. Someone please help salvage this dinner.

Last edited:
Never seen the 3-2-1 not work. How are you measuring the smoker temp? Built in thermometers are usually not very accurate. It's hard to check internal temp on ribs but 160 would be safe to eat but probably not very tender.

Forgot to put in original post that I was using the maverick 732 and even calibrated probe in ice water. Only a few degrees off from 32*. I took the ribs out of the smoker and into the oven just in case at a temp 250*. They have had plenty of smoker time to get flavor so hopefully oven will do the trick.

It seems they are not done.  They will pull back about an inch plus or minus.  My guess is your smoker is not at 240.  I have never had the 3-2-1 method for spare ribs fail, in fact I've had to pull them a bit early sometimes.  Leave them on, and keep watching for pull back.  I've never hit my ribs with my thermopen but will do so next time just for my information.

Richard

Forgot to put in original post that I was using the maverick 732 and even calibrated probe in ice water. Only a few degrees off from 32*. I took the ribs out of the smoker and into the oven just in case at a temp 250*. They have had plenty of smoker time to get flavor so hopefully oven will do the trick.
Did you calibrate it in boiling water?

No not in boiling water. I was told ice water would put me within a few degrees of 32* for calibration purposes. Next time I will try boiling water for calibration.

Picture? What kind of smoker are you running? Ok I see you have a WSM from some previous post. Where did you have the smoker probe? Silly question but you didn't happen to have it accidentally set or c instead of f did you? If the ribs were super duper meaty like a really thick rack of ribs they might have needed some more time. I have had loin backs a few times that took dang near an extra hour to get right. Do the toothpick test to find out if they are tender or not. The toothpick does not lie.

Last edited:
Pictures would help,  sounds like a temp problem to me

Gary

I am leaning towards a temp issue myself because I am smoking 2 shoulders at the same time and they are both taking forever as well. 6.5 pound butts going on 13 hours now and IT of 173. Pretty sure chamber temps were lower than temp probe. I didn't take any pics start to finish. I will take some of the finished product. Also no my thermo was set to F not C ha ha. I guess that could happen if you're not paying attention.

It could be your probe placement. Try moving the probe from where it is say from the edge to the center or vice versa and see what the difference is. I know that if you are using the water pan you will have a much higher reading at the edge than in the center.

Please ignore me...

Last edited:
It could be your probe placement. Try moving the probe from where it is say from the edge to the center or vice versa and see what the difference is. I know that if you are using the water pan you will have a much higher reading at the edge than in the center.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head. Probe placement was on the edge and I did use the water pan for the smoke. That may have been the difference in temp. Who knows. Thanks everyone for the info and tips.

I think I will try my next smoke with a dry chamber.

I was still happy with the finished results but def room for improvement. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Also one last question. I finished the cook last night pulled the pork put some of JJs finishing sauce on it and put it in a food saver bag. Will the PP be ok in the fridge till my superbowl party or should I freeze it?

It took me 6 days to eat my last pulled pork. I left it in the foil pan I pulled it in the whole week, loosely covered at that, in the fridge. No ill effects. I think you'll be fine..

Ribs look pretty good,  How long did it end up taking on the ribs  and the butts

You will be fine keeping it in the fridge till Sunday

Gary

Sorry it took so long to reply. Ribs took an extra hour in the oven. And the butts took about 13-14 hours total. Last 1.5 hrs was in the oven. It def had to have been a temp problem with the smoker. But all the food spent plenty of time in the smoker to get that delicious smokey flavor. No shame in finishing in the oven. At least i don't think so.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky