Spare Rib surprise

Discussion in 'Pork' started by herkysprings, Jun 7, 2009.

1. herkysprings

herkysprings Smoking Fanatic

So, I was cooking some butts this weekend and I decided to cook some spare ribs.

Trimmed St Louis style, using 3-2-1 method. They came out great.

What I ALSO found was the large flap of meat at the bottom of the rib, I cooked just like the ribs, but just as 3-2. I then cut it across the grain, and tossed it with some extra rub, and some Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce.

I dont know what to call this, except it was freaking good. I only ate a BIT of it, and I managed to save most of this. It will be frozen, and inserted into a fattie at some point I think!

2. bbq engineer

bbq engineer Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

On Spares, the flap on the membrane side is the rib skirt. I usually cut them off, hit them with rub, and then into the smoker with the ribs. At about half way through the smoke (or so) it's appetizer time! I absolutely love them like this.

3. herkysprings

herkysprings Smoking Fanatic

Heh I just saw your post and was about to do the same. Spares might become my new favorite jsut because of this extra little piece, and all the tasty things you can do with it!

That looks good, I'm trying that next time!

4. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The lil treat you chopped up are goodies that get discarded at times [​IMG] in the trimming process. Ya did good with smoking them and dicing them up! That shot of the goods made me drool a bit [​IMG]!

5. mulepackin

mulepackin Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That skirt meat is a great teaser. I also follow Dutch's lead, and chop it and add it to my beans.

6. stickyfingers

stickyfingers Smoking Fanatic

Well, I'm a little different. I like St. Louis cut ribs. Plenty of meat and you get the best part that spars have to offer.