Sopressatta di Calabria

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I can almost taste them.

Do you cryovac them to stop them from continuing to dry out.

Nice looking salumi.
icon14.gif

I bought some imported sopressatta to compare. Mine tastes nothing like that. The store bought doesn't seem to be fermented; is much dryer; seems the meat was diced , not ground (I remember seeing an old school recipe with diced meat). Also seems there is more chili or paprika in it (judging by colour). I liked it though. But I like mine better.

I'd be careful with this one. What makes a Calabrian soppressata special is the peppers. Len Poli doesn't really push standards of identity... My argument is like if you were making a Chorizo and I told you not to use Pimenton, would it be Chorizo? Same applies here. Not using an imported pepper powder or paste from Calabria I would have a hard time calling it Soppressata di Calabria... They also don't use beef middles in a traditional Calabrese, but a hog middle. Color should be deep red too.

I sell all Calabrian products, and can help if you'd like in making an authentic product. I linked you to the authentic products used in Calabria...

Ha! Ha! I actually don't have any authentic ingredient in this sausage. But that's how Len P called it , and since I used his formulation...

As much as we want we won't make authentic salumi with industrial pork.

Thank you for commenting.

Both Poli's and Rhulman's recipe indicate a very small amount of pepper product (flakes). What would be the % of pepper products in an authentic formulation?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky