Sopressatta di Calabria

Discussion in 'Curing' started by atomicsmoke, Nov 26, 2015.

1. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Just finished drying these.

As with my recent cured salamis I followed Len Poli's formulation.

Almost 5 weeks dry time...40% loss.

2. alta

alta Newbie

I can almost taste them.

Do you cryovac them to stop them from continuing to dry out.

3. chewmeister

chewmeister Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Nice looking salumi. [​IMG]

4. atomicsmoke

Thank you. Yes, I vac-pac them.

5. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great! In gearing up to finally get a curing chamber up and running.

6. atomicsmoke

The only problem with vacpacking is the mold vanishing.

7. atomicsmoke

I bought some imported sopressatta to compare. Mine tastes nothing like that. The store bought doesn't seem to be fermented; is much dryer; seems the meat was diced , not ground (I remember seeing an old school recipe with diced meat). Also seems there is more chili or paprika in it (judging by colour). I liked it though. But I like mine better.

8. I'd be careful with this one. What makes a Calabrian soppressata special is the peppers. Len Poli doesn't really push standards of identity... My argument is like if you were making a Chorizo and I told you not to use Pimenton, would it be Chorizo? Same applies here. Not using an imported pepper powder or paste from Calabria I would have a hard time calling it Soppressata di Calabria... They also don't use beef middles in a traditional Calabrese, but a hog middle. Color should be deep red too.

I sell all Calabrian products, and can help if you'd like in making an authentic product. I linked you to the authentic products used in Calabria...

9. atomicsmoke

Ha! Ha! I actually don't have any authentic ingredient in this sausage. But that's how Len P called it , and since I used his formulation...

As much as we want we won't make authentic salumi with industrial pork.

Thank you for commenting.

Both Poli's and Rhulman's recipe indicate a very small amount of pepper product (flakes). What would be the % of pepper products in an authentic formulation?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  10. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Newbie

I made Sopressatta yesterday and I used Calabrian peppers.  those suckers aren't cheap.