So. MD Stuffed Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaynik

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
Arnold, MD
I had to share our holiday tradition since most of you seem to appreciate food as much as me. In Southern MD, where I'm from, stuffed ham is a holiday delicacy. One crop in particular, kale, is a staple in this recipe as it's generally available at this time of year and is sought after.

Anyhow, bottom line is 1 corned ham, kale, onions, cayenne, mustard seed, cabbage, salt and pepper. You stab the ham as you'll see in many horror flicks, then fill the slits with this ground up stuffing. Once carved, you get this wonderful visual effect, plus a great mix of salt from the ham, plus slightly bitter from the kale with cayenne waking all of this up. It makes for one of the most longed for sandwiches of all time and gives you another reason to anticipate and appreciate the holidays. If you ever have an opportunity, partake!

p.s. although it's wonderful, it will stink up your house, car, etc something awful, but is soooooooo good.

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope everyone's lives continue to get better!

Jay
831fb9d9_vbattach11539.jpg

cba5b712_vbattach11394.jpg

3d11e7b8_vbattach11258.jpg

957d169e_vbattach11119.jpg

Reactions: fatty01
Hey Carl, I suppose many Baltimorons :-) haven't had it before. Not as much ethnic as regional. I think St Mary's County is its origin and where you'll see it most often. If you ever get the chance!

Jay

Hi Guys!

This is a recipe that I will add to my special things to do. It seems that every once in a great while I run into something new and different and just sounds terrific. :)

I will be making this soon! :lol:

Thanks to GoFish

ranger72

OTBS # 14

GoFish

You are absolutely right..I thank you for the link and I thank Jaynik for the intro to this type of Ham.

Sorry about the confusion on my part. :oops:

ranger72

OTBS # 14

Any chance of sharing the recipe? I live in Calvert (Fattys BBQ) and my wife wants to try making one.

Hey,Fatty01, I'm not sure of the actual recipe but if you're familiar with either Nick's of Calvert in Prince Frederick or the Mckays grocery markets they carry this certain times of the year,around the holidays and Easter. I live in Hughesville and go by McKays all the time.

My wife loves this stuff and will buy it by the pound. It smells vinegary and "kaley" (if that's a word)...

I'm new to the smoking hobby and will make this in the future for my wife. Thanks for the idea, jaynic!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky