SnP Mods w/PICS (finally)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rivet

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 25, 2008
The "Show Me" state
Allriiiight...finally got my last mods done and mounted!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
Got my SnP as a present from my wife about 18 months ago and have been applying what I've learnt here at the SMF since. First thing to go was the Temp gauge which cr**pped out after about 3 smokes. Replaced with a stouter model which was calibrated at work and has kept accurate since. That's been a nice surprise. 3 / 16th inch stainless steel backing and no leaks since day one.

Next up was the exhaust extension. Took off the warmer rack to accomodate. Also covered the factory vents with aluminum dryer tape. Took the fitting and drawings to the man and he cut a section of new pipe and swedged it in for 5 bucks. You can also see the backside mounting of the thermometer in the pic. I hit the exhaust pipe with an SOS pad for the pic since it built up a good layer of seasoning since last year.

After that came the wheels. Got rid of the stock ones and replaced with solid rubber, sealed bearing units from Ace Hardware. Smooth, quiet, and looks a whole lot better.

Next up was my firebox door and damper which were warped. Used the door as a pattern for 3 / 16th inch stainless replacement.

The damper was made out of 1/4 inch steel plate and rod nubs for finger grips. A bit of overkill, but it's bulletproof!

The stock grate for the firebox was pretty shot by the end of last summer, so I had a basket made of expanded metal and 1 inch angle iron. Corners are braced.

Designed my own manifold from all the examples and suggestions here at SMF- a big thanks to everyone. This is a one piece, 5 / 16ths steel plate with a nicely balanced handle. At the firebox side, a 45 degree upward cant deflects heat. Thick steel 'cause I want even, tempered heat distribution. On the canted part, three rows of 1/4 inch blown vents. Middle part has two rows 5 / 8 inch vents and tail end two rows 1 inch vents. He blew the vents with his torch 'cause it was easier than drilling. To the left of it you can see my 4X6 inch Beer Bottle Platform, also of 3 /16 stainless. It's a lot more stable than the expanded metal shelf.

And the best for last. A heavenly pic from last year....TBS and a yard full of springtime green grass!

Thanks for sharing your time with my project. A big appreciation for all here at the SMF who willingly shared their ideas that helped me along with mine!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

looks great, rivet! am putting this on my fave page so that i can work my way through these mods. also, as i sad, my son is training to be a welder RIGHT OW so hopefully he can give me a hand with some of these!

Hii Tas~ Just got one manifold. It began as a 19 inch long piece of steel. Had 5 inches from the end folded up at a 45 degree angle. This end buts up against the firebox end.

There is 14 inches horizontal steel remaining. The grates are approx 12 inches a piece (3 of em). Since the 19 inch total length is reduced with the upwards cant of the end, my manifold when in place against the end of the smoker, extends across the first grate and 3 and 1/2 inches into the center one.

Hope these details help you design yours. Change them around as you see fit!

Congrats on a great job, very nice work.

Rivet,
All your mods look great and make sense! I think I have a little older model of sNp than you do but basically the same thing. When I get this thing cleaned up and painted I'll be back in touch with you about some of these mods, best photo's and explanations I have seen. Thanks Friend!
Barry Ratliff
"Virginia Smoke Signal"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky