SmokinTex 1400 owners out there?? Help me get TBS.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Woocutter, sorry for delay in answering, got busy. No I didn't do anything to top vent. The only problem I've had with top vent being so small is gettig sausages to dry properly before applying smoke, not really a big deal, just crack the door a hair and turn up the heat a bit, to about 150 or so till dry, put in the AMNPS, latch the door and go from there. Phillip
My brother has this smoker and we had the same problem with wieners. We also cracked the door. The wieners were dry and at room temp and put in the smoker before it was warmed up. The condensation was as bad as I've seen. He is bringing it over next week end and we will drill like you mentioned. Thanks for your help!

He is skeptical and already told me it is going on Craigslist if this doesn't work.

Woodcutter, you're welcome,but really wasn'y my idea, Bearcarver(R.I.P.) and Tod Johnson at AMAZIN Products came up with the plan and it works. These are really tight smokers and condensation can be a problem with such a small top vent, but I'm sure you'll get it worked out. Mine has pretty wide temp. swings, but everything works out ok(wish I was smart enough to wire in a PID),but that's for a latter date, for now I'll just keep monitering temps closely and keep on Q'ing. Good luck. See ya, Phillip

Sorry, I didn't mean Bearcarver, I meant Scarbelly,(oldtimers disease). I certainly hope Bearcarver gets better soon,and gets back to posting, I've learned a lot from him. Phillip

Hi Snorkling girl, I too had problms w/ST1400 until I read Scarbelly's post on modifying the ST to use an AMNPS. Basicly all you need to do is enlarge the drip hole to 7/8" in. and drill a second 7/8' in. hole about an in. or two toward the rear of the smoker. I had been getting WAY too much smoke and creosote no matter how much wood chunks I used.       Now I get TBS all th way to the end of the smoking session, NO creosote. You can vary the amount of pellets for longer or shorter times by just filling the rows for the approx. time you need, 1 row,2 hrs. 2 rows 4hrs. Don't even turn the element on for a cold smoke. These are very good smokers, so don't give up. Good luck. 
Hi Pcallison,

Just to make sure I understand......you drill out the drip hole to 7/8", and add another 7/8" drill hole 1-2 inches away from the first one toward the rear of the smoker.  No modification to the top vent. Where do you put the AMNPS?  Do you remove the wood house and just rest the AMNPS on top of the element, or do you put it on the first rack?  Do you light the AMNPS with a propane torch and then also use the ST heating element if hot smoking?

Thanks for your information!  I've been pleased with using the SmokinTex and the AMNS for cold smoking, but am still trying to dial in the hot smoking.  Oh!  Can you still use an AMNS if you increase the air flow in there, or will I need to stick with the AMNPS?

Thank you very much and have a great weekend!

Scar and I worked on this issue for quite some time

He could get sawdust to burn very well, but pellets would go out

It was obvious, that the pellets were starving for air

Scar opened up the drain to 3/4" or 7/8", and pellets burned a little better

We knew we were on to something, so he drilled another hole, just behind the drain hole, so the drain pan would catch anything that falls thru either hole.

You can get a "Step Bit" to drill out the holes

2 holes seemed to work for Scar, and pellets burned nicely in his SmokinTex

Since the bottom is only a single layer, there is no need to worry about insulation

You may need 3 holes for proper combustion.  It's a little trail and error

Without proper oxygen, burning wood or chips create excess moisture and creosote as a by-product of combustion

By increasing the oxygen just a little, your smoke will turn from white to blue

Todd

+1 Tod, by  enlarging the drip pan hole and drilling 1 more 7/8's In. hole was all it took for mine.By the way I love the AMNPS and Pitmaster blend & congrats on order count, keep up the good work. Phillip

SnorkelingGirl, sorry I didn't answer your questions any better, I was getting some corned beef on the smoker. Yes you light the AMSNPS with a torch, let it burn for 10 min. or so, then transfer to smoker, I put it on the floor next to the wood box. Use gloves for this(don't ask how I know this!!) The AMSNPS does NOT like to be dripped on,you may need to put a small piece of foil on rack above it. Yes you can use sawdust, it doesn't have to be pellets. No need to remove the wood box, I do when I cold smoke, and just set the AMSNPS on the woodbox rack. Hope that helps a little. See ya, Phillip

SnorkelingGirl, sorry I didn't answer your questions any better, I was getting some corned beef on the smoker. Yes you light the AMSNPS with a torch, let it burn for 10 min. or so, then transfer to smoker, I put it on the floor next to the wood box. Use gloves for this(don't ask how I know this!!) The AMSNPS does NOT like to be dripped on,you may need to put a small piece of foil on rack above it. Yes you can use sawdust, it doesn't have to be pellets. No need to remove the wood box, I do when I cold smoke, and just set the AMSNPS on the woodbox rack. Hope that helps a little. See ya, Phillip
Hi Pcallison,

Thank you so much for your very helpful and detailed information.  I'm hauling my smoker over to a machine shop on Thursday to have a small tolerancing modification made to one of the shelves, and will have them add the extra drill hole(s) at the same time. I'm excited to see how the smoker performs with better airflow. 

Thanks again for your help, and have a great week!

Scar and I worked on this issue for quite some time

He could get sawdust to burn very well, but pellets would go out

It was obvious, that the pellets were starving for air

Scar opened up the drain to 3/4" or 7/8", and pellets burned a little better

We knew we were on to something, so he drilled another hole, just behind the drain hole, so the drain pan would catch anything that falls thru either hole.

You can get a "Step Bit" to drill out the holes

2 holes seemed to work for Scar, and pellets burned nicely in his SmokinTex

Since the bottom is only a single layer, there is no need to worry about insulation

You may need 3 holes for proper combustion.  It's a little trail and error

Without proper oxygen, burning wood or chips create excess moisture and creosote as a by-product of combustion

By increasing the oxygen just a little, your smoke will turn from white to blue

Todd
Hi Todd,

Thank you so much for your explanation about how to modify the ST to use the AMNPS, and also for your explanation about how to turn white smoke into blue smoke.  I'm currently cold smoking some bacon in the smoker using your AMNS, and am so pleased about how the smoke looks and how easy your AMNS is to use. I'm very excited to make these mods and see how the ST performs with better ventilation.  I'm planning to make the mods on Thursday when I have a chance to haul the smoker over to a local machine shop.

Thanks again and have a great week!

Not sure if you have seen this thread, but here is what I did to an ST1400 clone.  I am very happy with the smoker, the PID, and the AMAZEN. You might want to consider the holes in the bottom so you can use the AMAZEN smoker, even if you don't want to use a PID. The 3 holes allow you to open all three of them wide open or close down any combination.  I now use a small aluminum cone to puncture the aluminum foil on the bottom of the smoker to control the airflow.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/127238/auber-dual-pid-smoking-system-completed

Smokinjoe

Not sure if you have seen this thread, but here is what I did to an ST1400 clone.  I am very happy with the smoker, the PID, and the AMAZEN. You might want to consider the holes in the bottom so you can use the AMAZEN smoker, even if you don't want to use a PID. The 3 holes allow you to open all three of them wide open or close down any combination.  I now use a small aluminum cone to puncture the aluminum foil on the bottom of the smoker to control the airflow.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/127238/auber-dual-pid-smoking-system-completed

Smokinjoe
Hi Smokinjoe,

Thanks for pointing me to your thread on the mods you made to your Cookshack clone. Wow!  Highly informational thread!

The PID I'm going to save for a later time, but it sounds like there is really no downside to adding 1 or 2 additional holes to the bottom. As you say, if I decide I don't want them open, just don't punch through the aluminum foil.  I love modifications that you can still back away from with no harm done.

I know that you are using the AMNPS for smoke generation, and it is just sitting on the floor of your smoker to the side of the heating element.  But when you run your smoker, do you cover up the heating element with the wood box that came with the smoker or just leave the heating element exposed?

Thanks again for pointing me to your thread.

Clarissa

SG,

I do use the wood box, as it acts as a heat sink and distributes the heat more evenly through the smoker. It also helps protect any food item right above the heating element. 

There can be a downside to too much airflow, and that is uneven temps in the smoker. I talked about that a little in the thread, but in essence, I was smoking in colder temperatures (40 -50*F) and there was a little wind.  I had all 3 holes wide open, and my beef sticks smoked (cooked??) very unevenly. I did not take a picture, but it was quite severe.  So, drill 2 - 3 holes, and I don't think you need to go over 3/4" each, but play around with how much you want them open.  That could also be based on your objectives.  I.E. You might them all open if you are trying to finish drying smoked jerky. Or closed up just so the AMAZEN keeps burning for ribs to retain more moisture.

I think that for most smokes, keeping just enough airflow for the AMAZEN to keep burning is ideal, and that for me is usually 2 holes in the aluminum foil, and both open only about 1/2"  Of course YMMV, but at least the 3/4" holes are there for you to experiment.

The aluminum cones are then dropped into the holes to plug them up when not in use, just to keep small critters out.

Good luck,

Smokinjoe

SnorkelingGirl,

As an interesting follow up, I'm smoking a brisket in my SmokinTex right now.  Been in for just over 9 hours. 

I've made no modifications, no little boxes added to the SmokinTex.... and I have "thin blue smoke".

Just thought you should know it is very possible and happens all the time.  Just did not know it was called tbs.

Cheers.

SnorkelingGirl,

As an interesting follow up, I'm smoking a brisket in my SmokinTex right now.  Been in for just over 9 hours. 

I've made no modifications, no little boxes added to the SmokinTex.... and I have "thin blue smoke".

Just thought you should know it is very possible and happens all the time.  Just did not know it was called tbs.

Cheers.
Take pictures of what and how you accomplish this for others to learn from.....   That would be a big help....  Dave

Dave,

I made no modifications.  I simply use my SmokinTex the same way I have for 10 years now.  I simply put some pecan in my standard wood box (the one that comes with the SmokinTex) and put my meat on the rack and closed the door.

The smoke is nice and thin, I'll try and get some pictures of the smoke for you, but you've seen it before, no doubt.

I love my SmokinTex and love the fact that no mod is necessary.

Does this answer your question?

Please let me know, I'm more than happy to share any and all that I know :)  (The Mrs says that I don't know anything, so take my offer with a grain of salt!)

I am chiming in on this as well.  I use a single 2 ounce chunk of hickory in my Cookshack and this is what I get for smoke.  I don't know if it qualifies as thin and blue but billowing it is not, but the results are good.  So, judging from the picture, do I have TBS or close to it?  I smoke at 225 degrees to an internal temp of 190.  The butts always have a nice smokey flavor, neither bitter nor overpowering.  I have never really worried about getting TBS but decided to post what I get. Thanks.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky