Smoking weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bestee

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
After 2 weekends with only one thing done, this weekend I banged out the Smoked Meatloaf on Saturday...Thank you for the recipe SMF! It was simple and was gone before I could take a picture. Sunday I was able to take a snapshot of my first Baby Back ribs. Done with a homemade dry rub.
I seem to need a lot less time to cook than on recipes. For instance I was expecting a solid 4 hours for my ribs (about 2.2 pounds on baby backs) I was done in like 2 and a half (they were awesome, but didnt fall off the bone). I guess its my temp. I can't keep the temp any lower than 212F, and tend to range between that and 230F. Any advice on keeping it cooler? (I am using brikettes in a fire box, with mesquite chips)
Thnx
PS..cant get my picture on the board as it is 10kb more than limit (any suggestions how to shrink it?)

Sounds like your temps were too high and your thermometer wasn't reading accurately. Right around 225 is a good temp... what type of thermometer are you using and where is it located?

I highly recommend a dual probe digital, such as the Maverick ET-73. It lets you monitor the meat temp as well as the cooking surface temp.

Congrats of two succcessful smokes. If everything disappeared before the camera was ready, you did good. A whip and chair keeps people away until the pics are taken. If however, you are the one eating before pics I can't help or blame you.

I agree you need to make sure the temp is correct as the built in thermometers aren't always accurate. A smoker temo of 215-230 is right where you want to be.

Thanks guys...you make a great point. My thermometer is on the upper left hand, away from the heat....I kept the meat sitting on the hotter side...duh! I guess I should move it further from firebox. If I have the meat under the thermometer and its in the right range, I should be fine. Will also look into another thermometer. Once again, thank you.

Congrats on the smoke... The more things you try the more comfortable you will become around the smoke..
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky