Smoking Sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by jp4lsu, Feb 1, 2007.

1. jp4lsu

jp4lsu Newbie

I wanting to smoke some un-cooked sausage. I'm tire of going to the store and buying pre-smoked sausage. I want to do it myself.

What are the basics?
    Is there a topic dedicated to this already that I can read?
    Thank you for the help.
    Later,
    Jody

2. larry maddock

larry maddock Master of the Pit OTBS Member

yo jp4lsu,

i m o
    a good beginning -
    to learn about sausage making--
    is our brother forum member steve gaskins
    free E-BOOK...
    his site is
    http://www.buildabbq.com/
    click on sausage when you get there....

then its off to the library

true smoked sausage is a little more difficult than fresh...

before anything---
    try some fatties

have some fun

3. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Larry-

It looks pretty good.
    Thanks

4. jp4lsu

jp4lsu Newbie

Thanks Larry and Debi.
    Larry I will check the website out.

I tried to smoke a couple of links last night. I somewhat followed Debi's process, but I forgot to spray the links with water.

After I pulled the links out the smoker the casings got wrinkly and a bit rubbery. Does spraying the water on the links after the smoker eliminate that problem?

There wasn't a lot of smoke flavor in the sausage so I don't know if its worth the wait and hassle.

I will try it again.

Sunday I'm cooking a brisket but I have some good sausage to cook also. Since the brisket will be on 225-230° all day can I cook the sausage in that temp or should I just slow cook them on my grill seperately?

Thanks again guys.

5. jp4lsu

jp4lsu Newbie

Thanks Larry and Debi.
    Larry I will check the website out.

I tried to smoke a couple of links last night. I somewhat followed Debi's process, but I forgot to spray the links with water.

After I pulled the links out the smoker the casings got wrinkly and a bit rubbery. Does spraying the water on the links after the smoker eliminate that problem?

There wasn't a lot of smoke flavor in the sausage so I don't know if its worth the wait and hassle.

I will try it again.

Sunday I'm cooking a brisket but I have some good sausage to cook also. Since the brisket will be on 225-230° all day can I cook the sausage in that temp or should I just slow cook them on my grill seperately?

Thanks again guys.