Smoking Newbe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gemp's

Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Cleveland,Ohio
What's up guys, My name Ed,I'm from Cleveland,OH were good bbq is few and far between here.
icon_rolleyes.gif
So, My brother and I love grilling and want to try our hand at smoking. We want to build one,We build Drag cars and do all kinds of hardcore fab in our shop. Building a sweet looking smoker isn't the hard part,Building a sweet looking smoker that works is. Thats why I'm here, I'll have lots of questions on design,smoking tips,and recipes. Great site,Thanks,Ed

Hello Ed and welcome to SMF. You'll have a lot of interested members regarding your building a smoker, take pics as you go along. Also, there are plenty of friendly folks here to get you started on most anything that can be smoked.

Welcome Gemp's !!!
Your design questions will be answered here; there are many very knowledgeable members that will contribute suggestions that will make your smoker a workhorse. Are you thinking of barrel or vertical with a side firebox?

Welcome aboard! Definately dig in, this place rocks. Plenty of folks make their own pits here. Unfortunately, I am what you call, mechanically challenged?
icon_redface.gif
Gotta rely on others to build one for me.

Ask lots of q's and good luck!

Good to have ya!

Welcome to SMF Ed! Glad ya'll were able to find us! The first thing I recommend to do is to sign up for the Free 5 Day eCourse. Lots of good info there for new smokers. Then participate in the forums. If ya have any questions, feel free to ask. Someone with the knowledge (and some without
wink.gif
) will be along shortly with an answer.

Again, welcome!

Welcome aboard Gemp's, glad you found us!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Plenty of folks here that have built their own pits, ask and ye shall receive!

I highly recommend taking Jeff's 5 day ecourse... it is chocked full of info to get you started smoking. Have fun!

I was thinking barrel with a side box. But I been reading more about verticals. Now I don't know. I have more reading to do.
PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif

Welcome Ed -

You have come to th right place for smoking and fabricatig a smoker! Have you seem some of the sweet riggs these boys have built? Have you seen the General yet? Woo Hoo! Good luck!

Welcome in, Gemp. I've got a vertical and a horizontal smoker. I tend to migrate towards the horizontal most often since it holds more meat and is easier to use. The vertical, however, works well too. With the one I have, it would be difficult to get a turkey or large chicken in there. It does hold the temp better than the horizontal though (thicker shell plate).

Ask your questions. There are plenty of people here who are willing to help.

Hi Ed!...Welcome to the SMF!...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
...We're glad to have you aboard!!...

Sorry it took so long to welcome you, but I've been offline due to ISP/computer problems since July 2...
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif

Until later...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky