Smoking my first chuckie

Discussion in 'Beef' started by hambone1950, May 20, 2013.

1. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

Finally decided to thaw out this 5 buck chuck roast that I bought a while back. Seasoned it with Worcestershire and Montreal steak seasoning. Fired up the WSM with frontier lump.

Used a foil wrapped brick for a heat sink this time....worked pretty well. Temps stayed pretty steady at 250 to 275 pretty much all day....spiked to 300 at one time , but only for a short bit.

The internal temp of the roast is around 180 right now. At 4:30 ish....I plan on shooting for around 205 but I will be probing for tender as I go.....still pretty firm right now. I will post some pix later after I (hopefully) shred this and make some nice sangwitches outta this.

Tasted really good! Made sliders and we had fresh corn on the cob with it.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  2. Chuck roast looks great, but being a WSM owner, I'm also interested in your cart. Can you show a picture without the bag of charcoal in front? And...how did you make it?

3. looks great.

happy smoken.

David

4. so ms smoker

so ms smoker Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks like it's gonna be tasty!

Mike

5. hambone1950

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?40594-Progress-on-my-WSM-cart&highlight=smoker+cart

theres a bunch of pics here. i dont really have a blueprint , but its just a wooden platform with casters on it from harbor freight. the drop down table idea i stole from other posts on the VWBB....if you have any questions , feel free to ask.

6. Thanks, Hambone. I see you're a Calvin and Hobbes fan. One of the best cartoon strips ever, if not THE best!

I haven't gotten around to making my WSM more portable yet, but I plan to in the future. It's always great to see how others have done theirs. Right now, I keep it in the garage, and move it in sections. It's not that difficult, and I saved the cardboard shipping pieces that were in between the sections: they're great for putting the lid and middle section down without getting grease on the driveway or patio.

7. hambone1950

Hey bob....calvin n Hobbes arguably the best comic strip ever. I can't disagree.

Having the WSM on wheels is very handy. A lot of folks just put casters on the wheels or opt for a simple metal platform , but this thing kind of took on a life of its own.:biggrin:
    If you do one , I would advise covering the deck with metal of some kind....I made mine of wood because I did not believe that sparks would fall from the smoker......well , they don't. But they DO fall out of the chimney starter when you dump it in the smoker.....and that can be a fire hazard. I think I gotta cover that wood with metal now.

8. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

That looks delicious, Hambone!  Very nicely done!  I was a fan of Calvin n Hobbes too...

Red

9. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That looks great!  Christmas several years ago...we had a record snow.  Made Calvin and Hobbs snowmen!

Kat

10. Thanks for the good advice, Hambone...I still need to decide where the permanent location will be. We have a brick patio, but I'm thinking of setting up another area in the yard for my Webers. Not too much room, though, as I have a lot of trees.

Kat: You had enough snow in Alabama to make snowmen? Are you sure you didn't use a Transmogrifier?  [​IMG]

11. hambone1950