Smoking Kobe Tri Tip??? (QUESTIONS)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

McLoven1t562

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 26, 2014
Long Beach, California
Hey guys, I tried searching for some threads on Kobe Tri Tips, but just keep coming up with Tri Tip.

Number One question.....are there any different approaches you take to smoking a Kobe Beef Tri Tip as oppose to your more inexpensive Tri Tips??

I've smoked a few of them, but took a trip to a Butcher Shop that has almost 200, 4+ stars raving that yea their meat is pricey but its delicious. So I splurged and bought a Kobe Tri Tip (19.89/lb) lol

It looks absolutely beautiful. 

My plan was to brush it with some mustard, then add finely ground Applewood Rub (comes pretty coarse, but I'm grinding it to be more fine)  and then smoke it for around 2 hours at 200 - 225.

Just looking for any tips, tricks, advice, answers. Whatever you got!  I'm not smoking it til tomorrow, so there's plenty of time to check some feedback. Later tonight I'll have some QView in a new thread of the Ribs I also bought from the shop and am grilling up tonight :)

This is MY opinion only.....

Kobe is going to be a fattier (good) and more unctuous piece of meat.  I would NEVER think of slathering with mustard or even putting my own rub on that.   Go SIMPLE.....Just some sea salt and some freshly ground black pepper.  Let the meat speak for itself this time. Save the rubs for other cuts.

As for cooking?  I would take that piece of meat past 125F then let rest (should carry to 130F) and slice and enjoy.  Kobe beef can be eaten raw and it melts in your mouth like butter so the rarer the better.   If you overcook it you will just have thrown $20/LB away.....again this is only MY opinion. 

It's a flavor that no other beef I have had can re-produce. 

Scott

If it's actually Kobe at $20/lb you should have brought a truck and bought all they had. My guess is it will cook up just like the domestic beef it likely is. There is a minuscule amount of real Kobe being imported to the states and that commands prices well north of $100/lb.

I'm guessing it's Kobe style beef. Same as the Japanese but raised domestically. Having said that it's gonna be some good eating!

I'll be following this for sure.

I'm guessing it's Kobe style beef. Same as the Japanese but raised domestically. Having said that it's gonna be some good eating!

I'll be following this for sure.
yea I mean the sign and guy said it's "Kobe Beef Tri Tip" but I'd agree with you lol, Didn't think it was the imported one, but it's definitely a great cut of meat from what I've usually seen with the cheaper tri tips.  I'll snap a picture of it when I unwrap it soon. 

Alright so here's the cut I got. Marble already trimmed off, and nice, bright red look to it.

Smoking it tomorrow for dinner :D

I definitely hear what you guys are saying about rub just masking the true flavor and being pointless. SO, what about going with one of the original seasons I used when first learning to grill? McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning.............thoughts?

Coarse Salt, Spices (Including Black Pepper And Red Pepper), Garlic, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavor, And Extractives Of Paprika.

Last edited:
I'd still use salt and pepper but if u must Montreal steak seasoning would work.
well of course I can just grab some sea salt & pepper,  just thought the few little extras in Montreal would give it a good flavor while still keeping close to the traditional route of S&P :P

well of course I can just grab some sea salt & pepper,  just thought the few little extras in Montreal would give it a good flavor while still keeping close to the traditional route of S&P :P

Use what you prefer mine is only an opinion. Just such a buttery piece of meat don't want u to mask it.....hell of it was 5 bucks a pound I'd day rub it up :-)

Use what you prefer mine is only an opinion. Just such a buttery piece of meat don't want u to mask it.....hell of it was 5 bucks a pound I'd day rub it up :-)
I think I'll go with your suggestion in the end :P .....when should I season it? Rubs I usually put on anywhere from 1 - 4 hours prior to cooking. Same thing for salt n pepper, or does it really matter?

If it was the typical, 5-7 dollar a pound tri tip, I'd be coating it with a nice layer of mustard and applewood rub lol. Like to give my usual tri tips a little bark on the outside. But yea, I'm definitely not coating this thing in seasonings.

and for wood I think I'm going to use pecan & cherry wood chips.

Great looking tri tip.  Interesting.  Has more of a Prime look to it but definitely nicely marbled. 

As someone who has grilled, roasted, and smoked more than a thousand choice and prime tri tips over the last 30 years, keep it simple.  SPOG over EVOO would be the maximum I would put on that beautiful cut, and the OG would be optional.  I'd also season it just before it went on the smoker or grill, not the night before. Smoke it at 225F to a 125F IT maximum.        

Be Diligent and Patient . Have you instant therm. and watch your Meat , Looks like good quality and "May" be Kobe style , but at $20/lb.

I concur , S/CBP ,simple and if you like Beef you won't want anything on it when it is done, (that would be an atrocity ) , just do some side dish and enjoy.

Better yet , send that 'Baby ' to me and It will be done with Love . 

Have fun and . . .

Hey I know this post is a couple months old but its interesting cut of meat so I have questions. I bough some Texas Kobe beef from Texas T Kobe at a local farmers market. He sold me a sirlion it was $20 I seasoned it Montreal steak seasoning pan seared it & cooked it in the oven at 350 and it was one of the best steaks I have eaten short of a filet at Vic & Anthonys steak house ($50). So this weekend I bought a very small tri tip it was just over a pound for $17.
I cooked it the same way due to rain again and to be honest I was not impressed my wife also comment she preffered the sirlion steak.
I am very interested in smoking a Tri Tip since there are only 3 of us in my house a brisket is reserved for special occasions / guest over for dinner. Getting a 3 or 4 pound Tri Tip could be a great choice but I have some questions?
1. Can I cook it like a brisket where its a little more tender and not so rare or will it dry out?
2. Do they carry Tri Tip at the grocery store or will I need to find a butcher shop,
3. Does Kobe beef make that big of a difference? $17 a pound is expensive.

Biggest part of a tri tip is to cut it correctly. And they are best around med rare IMHO. I had real Kobe beef tenderloin once the marbling was like butter leaking out of the meat when I split it with a friend(before cooking) if I had to pay for it I would most likely pass as I wouldn't want to get use to the good stuff. I have only had a few TT but they were better then same grade sirloin.

Biggest part of a tri tip is to cut it correctly. And they are best around med rare IMHO. I had real Kobe beef tenderloin once the marbling was like butter leaking out of the meat when I split it with a friend(before cooking) if I had to pay for it I would most likely pass as I wouldn't want to get use to the good stuff. I have only had a few TT but they were better then same grade sirloin.
My wife is a medium well person so you know what they say " happy spouse happy house". I do plan on smoking a Tri Tip but probably will not be Kobe style hopefully prime will be much easier n the pockets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky