Smoking fruit??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

expat smoker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
It just occured to me that maybe I could smoke certain fruit in season.  Living in Thailand, we are now in the middle of a mango bumper crop and super sweet mangos for super cheap.  I've smoked tomatoes that have a lot more moisture and dried mangos are quite common, so why not smoke them?? Maybe slow @ 150f for as many hours as I can feed the fire.....8 to 10??

Any comments or am I crazy to even consider this project, but the idea of a sweet smokey mango is mouth watering to me...........

DISASTER!! Mangoes have so much water in them that it took most of the day and overnight to dehydrate them and by then, the mango flavor was overpowered by the smoke flavor.  I won't give up and may try again, maybe half drying them and finishing them in the smoker or maybe the other way around. I did a taste test when they were only in for 3 hrs and taste was great, but texture was too mushy.  Not worth taking a picture of.....sorry.

Oh wow, I didn't realize you were talking about smoking as a preservative. I can imagine that's a LOT of smoke for the fruit. I thought you just meant as a way of flavoring fresh fruit.

I am thinking about cold smoking several different fruits. Strawberries, bananas, oranges, apples, pineapple, and possibly pears and/or blackberries come to mind. Has anyone out there tried smoking 

Hi There guys,  so i'm very interested in smoking pineapple in particular but fruits in general. 

marasi - any luck with the cold smoking idea? 

mdb - can you tell us details of the smoked pineapple and peaches that you did?

cheers!

I smoked the pineapple with ribs I believe, and for probably 2-3 hours. The temps were likely in the 250˚-275˚ range, as that's usually where I smoke ribs. If I remember correctly I marinated them in brown sugar and rum, but I may be wrong on that, it's been a couple years. The peaches were even longer ago, but I believe they were on a hot grill with steaks and probably not on for more than 10-15 minutes. So I guess they were technically grilled, but I was using smoke wood and remember they picked up a good bit of flavor. I'm thinking the pineapple was hickory and the peaches were done with cherry.

I just got back from Ukraine after a two week vacation. Over there it was very common to see smoked fruit. Mostly, pears and apples though. They'd take this dry, smoked fruit and boil it with some sugar and pour the liquid off to be drank. It's called compote there. Sweet, fruity tea with a smokey taste. I loved it!

Sounds interesting !     When I was in Baku cherry juice and cherry's were very popular

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky