Smoking Chuck Roast this Week

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stevetheteacher, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Came across a certified angus chuck roast at the local supermarket and decided to give it a try. Have any of you smoked this before? What IT should I aim for? APPROXIMATELY how long will it take? All tips, suggestions, concerns, advice are encouraged and accepted.

Thanks!

2. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  3. Thanks for your quick reply, Bear! When you say close the top vent to preheat, do you mean the vent on the smoke stack?

Also, although I know most people pull this meat, I intend to slice it. Would that affect my desired internal temps?

Steve

4. bearcarver

I'm talking about the top vent on an MES (Electric Smoker). There is no stack, but that's where it would go if you were to put one on it.

If I was going to slice a Chucky, I would probably go for about 195° IT, because I would still want to break the toughness out of it.

However I always pull it, because of that problem.

Bear

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  5. So should my stack be opened or closed during pre-heat?

6. if you are using anything other than an electric smoker you want your exhaust open if its not open there is no air going to flow into the smoker which means no fire i have a wsm and mine is always wide open unless i am putting the coals out 

7. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

My chuckie..........A little salt and cracked black pepper to season then Cook to 160 IT then Foil pan and add a can of dr pepper and cover pan with foil and finish at 200 to slice......

Good luck

Joe

cael likes this.
  8. I like the sound (and the look) of that.

9. I agree, that looks lovely and exactly what I want to do.      I've been holding off asking these exact questions as I have been waiting for a better price on Chuck.    Right now $7.99/lb.    Boooo....Alberta drought.   Our poor cattle farmers are really taking it the last few years.     I expect I will just keep buying the high price meat in support..but $7.99 is kind of hurting my soul just a bit for a Chuck Roast.

I also don't want to pull and have been mulling the right 'slice' (or half slice half fall apart temp).   So thanks for this thread.    Perfect information here for me.

10. Thanks for the support. I am still a newbie and hope my constant questions are too stupid or annoying.

11. bearcarver

I'm sure everybody has heard this before, but it's true that the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Bear

12. Kroger in Virginia has chuck for $4.99lb this week.

13. The next question is should I marinade the chuckie or not? If so, for how long?

Thanks!

14. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Depends on what type of flavor profile you are looking for. I like to keep them simple for the most part. SPOG for rub and a 50/50 mix of cherry and pecan for smoke. With that said I like to have different things too. I will sometimes marinade a chucky in Worcestershire, all day. Sometimes Ill use a good porter or stout beer with worchestershire. Bloody Mary mix is another good option.

15. The chuckie i did recently i just put the rub on it and let it sit overnight. im pretty sure Bear puts "Thick" wooshy sauce on his Before he rubs. but i am still yet to find it in a store ANYWHERE. 

I may see if it can be ordered online.....

16. Rub first then marinade????

17. gpb11

gpb11 Meat Mopper

Seems that'd just wash all the rub off.

18. yes rubbing before you marinade would wash off all of that rub i would not advise that... if you want to marinade do it before you put your rub on.

19. bearcarver

You can't find Worcestershire "Thick" any more by that name.

They changed the name---The exact same thing now goes by the name "Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce".

I haven't started using it yet, because Mrs Bear noticed the Worcestershire "Thick' was disappearing from the shelves at her stores, so she bought the last few of them----I just opened my last one, so I'm still good for at least 6 months. Then I gotta buy the "Lea & Perrins Bold" too.

Bear

20. Well I know I have seen that so I will have to give it a go next time thanks bear