Smoking boudin ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

strummer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Edna. Tx
Anyone here ever try to smoke homemade boudin ? I'm going to make about 50 lbs this weekend and thinking about smoking a few links . Im itching to give my smoke house it maiden voyage. Wondering what y'alls thought are about it ?

Man it's good stuff ya should try it sometime . A lot of time it's made with liver . Sometimes geese or duck . I just use pork in mine .

Reactions: papichulo
Anyone here ever try to smoke homemade boudin ? I'm going to make about 50 lbs this weekend and thinking about smoking a few links . Im itching to give my smoke house it maiden voyage. Wondering what y'alls thought are about it ?
Smoke away.............................................................
icon14.gif

Joe

Just remember that if Boudin drys out you get something akin to cardboard.  A lot of rice in boudin and it is important to keep it moist.   I've made and smoked boudin before but make sure it it fully cooked before going on the smoker and smoke only long enough to flavor it up.   I used pork and a bit of chicken liver since I couldn't find pork liver.  I have also made a seafood boudin for Good Friday no meat tradition.  Both came out very well.

Reactions: enzo
I bought my seasoning from a spice company named reo seasoning . Heck i can buy there mix a heck of a lot cheaper then I can mix my own. Im going to use 12 lbs of meat instead of 8 and 5 lbs of rice instead of 6 and im going to add some green onions and parsley also. One of my friends made it last year and it turned out real good.

Last edited:
Don't know what recipe you are using but Boudin needs to be made w/ SHORT grain rice. It makes the consistancy right.

I'm working on it today, got my meat cooking it will be done with in the hour. I'm on my second batch of rice, didn't have a pot big enough to cook 6 pounds. I'm using short grain rice I just got lucky and bought it not knowing that's what I should use.

Strummer, welcome to SMF. It will be interesting to see your Boudin after it's done. It's sounding good so far. Don't forget the pictures.
icon14.gif

I ended up making 32 links and put 10 in the smokehouse . I will pull them out in the next 20 minutes or so . They are starting to change color so they are taking smoke good . I made a few test patties and they tasted really darn good . Now for the pics
a6934f3c-c255-5b8a.jpg
a6934f3c-c26b-93fe.jpg
a6934f3c-c281-f378.jpg

I have eaten a lot of boudin in my life, smoked is so much better to me.  It adds a flavor thats hard to describe, but so good.   I like it smoked with pecan wood ....Mmmmmm !!! Now I could go for a link ......
drool.gif
right about now........

It turned out pretty darn good. I will make it again .It will  be a lot easier next time, my stuffer should be here .

Reo seasoning is pretty good stuff. My Dad lives in Huntsville and buys that stuff. Try putting the seasoning in the rice when you cook it, that is what he does and it is amazing. Have not had it any other way so couldn't really say how it tastes mixed in the meat... 

Also, did you use your grinder to stuff? He uses a vertical as he says a grinder would make mush of the rice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky