Smoking a Tuna Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xjcamaro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Western PA
I want to smoke a thick tuna steak, should i cold smoke it then sear it or hot smoke it at a low temp? Anyone have any suggestions?

i would smoke it for an hour for taste then get the grill on hot and sear each side for a couple mins each that should do it right

Tuna will cook very fast. I usually grill mine for about 3 minutes each side on a medium high temp. If you smoke it and want grill marks I think 1 minute each side should do. I marinate with a red wine vinegar and oil dressing with fresh pepper and a dash of lemon. MAN, I'M GETTING HUNGRY!!

beard

BTW, I do mahi the same way and it's GREAT!!

Ya, but if i cold smoke, i can just sear real quick on the grill or skillet right?

Personally, i think a good tuna steak has a perfect light flavor, and i think smoking will put too heavy of a flavor on it. I just like it quick seared like above. Or for something different you could try Alton Brown's chimney method. I like it seared outside and rare inside with a side of wasabi and soy sauce.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

I think the easiest way to do what you want is to use a smoker box on the grill, or even just some chunks tossed on the grill. Get the smoke going and the grill hot and then grill normally for 2-3 minutes each side (I like mine pretty rare). That will give it a nice kiss of smoke while not overcooking it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky