Smokey taste

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdoyle

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
North Carolina
I just did my first smoke,chicken breast using cherry wood.the chicken was good but had a powerful smoke taste kinda like liquid smoke.can you use to much wood? I smoked them for 2 1/2 hours the smoke was heavy to start with And I was getting smoke all the way through the process turned up heat last 20 min to crisp bacon and that increased the amount of smoke I was getting towards the end.any clues to why I got such smoky breast?

Tell us more about your smoker set up. What kind of smoker? What kind of wood? Chips or chunks? How much? Vent positions?..................

18 inch smoke vault with cherry chunks I filled the pan as much as I could get in,started vents full open ,then close all the way to the stop I have not flatten the vent stops, had to adjust the heat from time to time to keep it between 225 and 240 degrease the smoke was verry heavy for about 45 min.then it was steady like you see in most smokers that I have seen on YouTube. Thanks

Next time try just using 2 or 3 chunks at a time and leave the top vent all the way open the whole time.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky