Smoker wind break

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a Masterbuilt propane Smoker and was having the same issues with the inability to hold Temps below 250.
I made skirts out of cement board (painted black with high temperature spray paint) and placed them against the legs of the smoker. I followed the same angle as the legs. This has helped with wind blowout of the flame at a low level. The other thing I did was add a needle valve.
This has allowed me to dial in the temp with much more accuracy than the stock control valve.
I used high temperature foil tape to block some of the vent holes coming into the chamber.
These three mods have allowed me to hold Temps below 200.
It's night-time here but will post some pics this weekend.

r2
Here's your man, Illini:  r2, without the d2, is who I recalled using this method.  Well done, r2--my memory's dang good, it's just too short.  What were we talking about again??   
biggrin.gif

Who are you again??  
confused.gif

biggrin.gif

Out of curiosity, how do you like the propane?  I see so many posting about the electrics and the issues around them, that if I were going to get an upright like this it would be a gasser.  Understand the wind/flameout issues inherent to a gas bottle, but those seem more easily overcome than all the intricacies of electronic controls when they want to crap out.

Just another forum member lol.

I have only used propane so far so my knowledge of other methods is nil.
My experience with propane so far is it has to be tended to periodically.
You can't just set it up then leave.
Monitoring the Temps and smoke takes a bit of diligence.
Adding the skirts, needle valve and a few other mods picked up from the forums makes a big difference in usability and performance.
I hear electric is way easier to handle but for some reason I like Gass.

r2

Just another forum member lol.

I have only used propane so far so my knowledge of other methods is nil.
My experience with propane so far is it has to be tended to periodically.
You can't just set it up then leave.
Monitoring the Temps and smoke takes a bit of diligence.
Adding the skirts, needle valve and a few other mods picked up from the forums makes a big difference in usability and performance.
I hear electric is way easier to handle but for some reason I like Gass.

r2
I hear the same thing as you about the electrics, but when they puke out, trying to revive one can be like chasing a rabbit down a hole.  You're always reading about someone having to replace control boards, putting in a PID, capacitors, rewiring, spuds, switches, etc., etc., etc., and something that I'd rather not have to worry about:  goodness knows there's already enough things in this world that are frustrating, and I'd rather not have another.  Yet you seldom hear about issues with gas:  oh, wait, yes you do.  And it comes from the guy who has 2 pounds left in a 20 pound tank and his fire went out partway through an overnight 15 pound brisket cook.  Or the dumbarse who used his lighter as a flashlight to look inside the smoker to see if his fire was still lit.  Other than those, you really don't hear much.

Well something you or may not have seen about propane smokers.
See an old thread of mine called "now that was stupid"
Oops, sorry, didn't mean to call you a dumbarse in the post above:  my bad.  
sorry.gif
    I do remember that thread (after having just read it again) and you're THAT guy (
icon_wink.gif
)--glad you're OK.  Omak likes to roll that story out about the Wisconsin guy whenever gassers get brought into play:  he does have a point, that safety is key with these.  Oddly enough, the guy who blew himself up lived in my wife's hometown, about an hour and a half from here.  I'm going to put a burner into my offset stick burner once the ice and snow goes away and I can get it back out again:  it won't be a permanent setup, but one that I can drop in the firebox if I don't feel like tending a wood & charcoal fire all day long.  Have the burner, hose with needle valve & regulator, just need the weather to cooperate.  Company makes these setups for about $90 that I'd seen and gave me the idea:  I think I might be into it for less than $20.

I picked up a cement backer board from Menards this evening. Never worked with this stuff and it looks a little rough. Any suggestions on clean cuts that end up not looking like junk on the smoker?

I first made templates out of cardboard to get the shape. My smokers legs are flared out so I scribed the cardboard at the same angle as the legs.
Laid those out on the cement board and traced the pattern.
With a framing square as a straight edge I used a razor knife to cut the board.
It takes several passes with the knife to cut all the way through. I then painted all the surfaces with high temperature back paint.
It's a lot like cutting drywall just more dense.
I will take some pics of mine tomorrow and post.
Does that help?

r2

I first made templates out of cardboard to get the shape. My smokers legs are flared out so I scribed the cardboard at the same angle as the legs.
Laid those out on the cement board and traced the pattern.
With a framing square as a straight edge I used a razor knife to cut the board.
It takes several passes with the knife to cut all the way through. I then painted all the surfaces with high temperature back paint.
It's a lot like cutting drywall just more dense.
I will take some pics of mine tomorrow and post.
Does that help?

r2

Perfect - thank you! Yes, that makes sense. I assumed I could handle it like drywall. Any thoughts on a jig saw to get a cleaner cut? I think the board I picked up is 1/2" thick and just seems like a utility knife may have a tough time making passes.

Hi illini,
Just wondering if you tried the cement board for a wind break.

Sorry for the delay - got a bit busy. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to get some cement board and make the pieces.

I did fire up the smoker to do a fatty today. I moved it to my porch area to get the smoker more out of the wind. I also used an 8x8" cat iron skillet for my wood chips. The smoker temp maintained much better today. Not sure if it was a combination of the location and cast iron skillet or not.

I did however notice that I do not think I got as much smoke today. If using a cast iron skillet, do I need to do anything different? I sat the skillet on the chip pan. It slid right under the water pan.

When I decided to switch to a CI skillet I pulled the stock chip pan out. I didn't think to leave it in place and using it as a base as some have.
I put a small cookie rack on top of the burner and set my skillet on that.
What I have found with is the skillet in my application does have hot spots.
Can you try setting your skillet closer to the burner?
Mine being on a rack directly on top of the burner gives me good smoke.

Make sense?

r2

When I decided to switch to a CI skillet I pulled the stock chip pan out. I didn't think to leave it in place and using it as a base as some have.
I put a small cookie rack on top of the burner and set my skillet on that.
What I have found with is the skillet in my application does have hot spots.
Can you try setting your skillet closer to the burner?
Mine being on a rack directly on top of the burner gives me good smoke.

Make sense?

r2
I put my cast iron skillet up on legs - three long carriage bolts, 6 nuts (can't remember if I used any washers or not).  Killed my soul to drill three holes in a perfectly good cast iron skillet, but drill them I did (thankfully it wasn't old cast, but a new skillet I bought from Wally World).  It sits about three or four inches above my burner, I think - works like a champ!

Thank you for the hardibacker wind break idea.  Fought wind gusts yesterday while doing some ribs, and was afraid to set the burner too low for fear it would blow out.  Already made me some cardboard patterns, just didn't know what I was going to make them out of.  

Just a followup - Here are some pictures of the windbreaks I made out of a sheet of durarock backerboard. I cut them out with an oscillating multitool, tried to wrap the edges with duct tape, and painted them black with high temp paint. I have a feeling I'll be replacing the tape. I used industrial strength vecro to attach them to the legs of my smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky