Smoked Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kaptn35

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Roanoke
Smoked my first Turkey yesterday....a 17lb bird. Wife wanted it nice and juicy but I think it was a little bit overdone. I did it about 250 degrees for about 8 hours. I took it out at about 175 degrees cooked but must have had the sensor too far down because when I repositioned the sensor it shot up above 180.

all in all not too bad! I had my thanksgiving meal before summertime...:)

Well wifed loved the smoke flavor Turkey. I had some extra Turkey so I decided to get created and make some Smoked Turkey Taco's out of the extra meat. I really wasn't sure how it would come out but I liked it alot!
Since the White meat of the Turkey was very dry and could be pulled easily I shreaded it up and added some Taco Seasoning. Mixed up really good and slapped the meat in some flour tortillas garnished with Cheese, Lettuce, Olives, Kidney beans and sour cream......

Next time I am going to try some BBQ Turkey sandwiches!

Kaptn,did you brine the turkry before smokin it?We always brine em and they dont get dry even if I sorta forget them.

No I didn't brine my turkey. I am not a huge salt person myself and put a little bit on prior to cooking on the outside skin instead with some ground pepper.

kaptn -

Try a brine with half the salt and rinse it good beofre you smoke it! It's amazing the difference. I don't use salt as a general rule unless I have to but poultry brined even for just a few hours is awsome!

kaptn -

Last summer when I started smoking chicken I never brined it...mostly because I didn't understand it & never knew anyone that did it. Then one day I decided that I'm going to give the brining a try & see if it worked as well as everyone on this forum said it did.

Now understand that my chicken always turned out good, but when I started brining...WOW!! It always turns out moist!! I always brine my poultry...I smoked our Thanksgiving turkey. It was the first time I smoked a turkey & my wife invited a friend over from Mississippi & she thought it was great which made me feel good because her entire family smokes. It never turns out salty...make sure you rinse off before applying the rub

Here is a basic brine recipe that I have used:

Here is the brining recipe:
1 gallon of water
1 cup of kosher salt
1 1/2 cups of white sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 tbl black pepper
2 tbl onion powder
2 tbl garlic powder

I always brine (maybe not the right word) my whole turkeys for smoking in apple cider for 2 or 3 days. Comes out super moist.

I always brine (maybe not the right word) my whole turkeys for smoking in apple cider for 2 or 3 days. Comes out super moist. I also put the cider in the water pan.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky