Smoked turkey and sausage gumbo w/q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chisoxjim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 25, 2007
Early pics of a smoked turkey and sausage gumbo i am doing tomorrow.

Went right to the source for the turkey thighs:

thighs:

fresh natural, unenhanced, local turkey. I also got a breast to do for t-giving:

I picked up some fresh polish sausage from a market in Elburn(andoullie was frozen). My gumbo will also have okra, onion, green pepper, garlic, celery, parsley, green onion, and rice in it. A pretty good recipe for a yankee. Of course it will all start with the roux which will take 15 mins to 30 mins on the stovetop, until it gets a dark color I like.. Thighs wil be smoked, and the meat pulled and set aside, and the thigh bones simmered in some chicken stock to infuse it with the smoked turkey goodness.

More pics to follow, just had to dump the pics on my camera.

thanks for looking.

Hey good deal- Nice pics of the real-deal source you got! Sure are going to be tasty thighs and your recipe sounds pretty tasty. Don't forget to share the q-vue
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

for sure, love tot take pics, and share..

Im smoking up a link of the polish sausage with some chix wings I am working on now(just to try it.. quality control..)..
icon_wink.gif

I want the gumbo done by about 2:00 tomorrow to eat with some bread, and a couple pounds of peel-n- eat shrimp..

Gumbo is a Friday after Thanksgiving tradition down in Louisiana (I spent the first 21 years of my life down there).

We still carry the tradition up here in TN.

Pick the meat off the bird for samiches and use the carcass and anything else that falls off the bones to make a turkey n sausage gumbo.

FWIW, it doesn't take long at all to un-freeze sausage. Heck, I've even been known to cook with the stuff (defrost in the microwave and/or whack it with a clever into small pieces).

sounds good.

I just wanted fresh, and not frozen, these polish are a little spicy, but not andoullie hot.

Funny thing ,I drove an hour each way to go to a turkey farm when this morning sitting on my couch, I saw out my front window 22 wild turkeys walk by, that and a monster 6 point buck I saw the other day...
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Man I wish I was raised in Louisiana just for the gumbo well not really but you cann't beat the gumbo in louisiana. I like to have some real gumbo and not the pot of poop I've had around here. But turkey and sauasge sounds wonderful.

between a couple local guys I know who are from Louisiana, and Chef Paul Pruddhome, I have a pretty good recipe, just change up the protein...

"had" to check out the polish sausage, and while I was at it some chix wings went on. The polish sausage was some of the best I have tried, gonna go great in the gumbo.

rubbed the turkey thighs with Tony C's creole spice, gonna let them sit in the fridge overnight, and smoke them first thing tomorrow:

That is a fine spread you have there Jim... It looks delicious...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

thanks,

really looking forwad to the gumbo tomorrow, I think I have the ingredients to pull off a killer one.

gumbo was one of the finest versions I have made/had. The chicken broth infused with some smoked ham hocks, and the turkey thighs(after most of the meat was pulled) really took the flavor up a notch.

Had an issue with the laptop I typically use from home, that should be taken care of by tonight, and Ill post the pics then.

definitely, practice, patience, and a good roux.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

sorry for the delay(stupid computer,..)

here are the finished pics for those interested. This gumbo was excellent, the smoked ham hock, and smoked turkey thigh bones I added to the chicken stock really took it to another level. The excellent polish sausage was really good as well. I also used lard for my roux, and to sautee the okra. The finished gumbo had hardboiled eggs added, and then a 1/2 slice in each bowl as it was served over rice with soem gumbo file, and hot saue added.

smoked turkey:

gumbo ing:

infused broth:

lard:

okra:

roux:

gumbo:

thanks for looking, sorry for the delay.

almost forgot, also had some steamed shrimp as a side:

the last of this gumbo really hit the spot last night, flavors had really come together, and it was better the next night if that is possible.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky