Smoked Tri Tip with a Rec Tec Pineapple Upside Down Cake "Football Sunday"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigtrain74

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 23, 2009
Springfield, Ma
Went to my local butcher shop and asked the guy I've been getting buddy buddy with lately for some tri tip. He said he didn't have any out but to give him a few minuets and he will be right back. Sure enough he came back with 3 to choose from that the butched just cut off and packaged especially for me! So a quick shout out to Mark for making that happen for me!

My Grandmother always said to keep beef really simple with salt and pepper. The beef will do the rest.

Thrown on the Rec Tec at 230 degrees for 2 hours for a nice rare piece of meat. It's not like a piece of brisket where if you cook the tri tip longer its going to be a dry piece of meat. 

And 2 hours was perfect!

Best piece of steak I have had in awhile! 

I forgot to take a pic with some horseradish sauce on a roll. 
th_crybaby2.gif

And what is game day without some smoked buffalo wings?

And of course we need dessert! The cast iron pan was definitely the way to go with this!

That Tri -Tip looks nice and I wish I could find it at that price here, but the heck with the meat . That Pineapple - Upside - Down cake looks Marvelous
icon_exclaim.gif

My dear old Mom would make one for me each B-day, I miss Maw...

just like her's...

have fun and . . .

That Tri -Tip looks nice and I wish I could find it at that price here, but the heck with the meat . That Pineapple - Upside - Down cake looks Marvelous
icon_exclaim.gif

My dear old Mom would make one for me each B-day, I miss Maw...

just like her's...

have fun and . . .
Thanks brother... Does anyone make you this anymore?

Man, the steak and wings look delicious...but I'd love a big honkin slice of that cake please! Nicely done!!

Red

Nice looking Steak & Wings, Tony!!!
drool.gif

Your Granny was right !!!   LOL---They usually are!!

Nice Job!!
icon14.gif
-------------
points.gif

Bear

Everything looks Super, I love Pineapple upside-down cake   yummy

Gary

Tasty looking meal! Just curious as to why you cooked the tip in a pan?
Hey Case, I've been doing a lot of that with this cooker. I like to capture any juice especially when it's beef. You saw I also did it with the chicken wings. After about a 1/2 hour, I didn't like how it was coming out, so i took them out and placed them right onto the grates. Maybe its something subconsciously that I need professional help with defining why I love tin foil and foil pans... 
hit.gif

Wifey asks me the same question everytime we go to Costco. "Do we really need more foil pans?" YES!!!!!!!!

Thanks for checking it out!

~Tony

Last edited:
I did see the wings in the pan and was wondering... Which with a bit of schmaltz, and high temp 400-425, that could work for the wings, got me thinking now!

As for the tip, even though it looked great, I was cringing! If you must use the pan do this next time. Load that pan with roasting veggies (carrots, taters, celery, Brussel sprouts, onion, beets, cauliflower, broccoli) season well, and place the tip on top of that and smoke. When the tip hits 125-130 pull everything out crank up the heat and sear it. Another option is to make smokey Au Jus. Search here for Chef Jimmy's smokey Au Jus. If you do that put a rack on top of your foil pan and the tip on the rack.

Thanks for the tip Case. All the videos and recopies I saw never called for a reverse sear. Im going to be getting a top shelf for the cooker so that will allow me to catch the juices in a pan much easier going forward. 

Thanks for the tip Case. All the videos and recopies I saw never called for a reverse sear. Im going to be getting a top shelf for the cooker so that will allow me to catch the juices in a pan much easier going forward. 
Yup---That'll be great---Much better to have the pan with veggies on another shelf. Then the Beef can drip down into the pan. I never did like my Beef sitting in a pan with veggies, interfering with that Awesome Beef flavor.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky