Smoked Sirloin Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sopha

Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Bought some marbled sirloin tip steak and figured since i like medium rare-medium steak this would be a great starting point to practice on for my first time using my smoker. I bought one of those popular $99 gas smokers from wally world a week ago and was dying to try it out. I do the seasoning for around 2 hours and decide it's time to smoke some steak.

I got the smoker up to 300 degrees and added the water soaked mesquite chips. After the temperature rose back to the 300 degrees i put on the steaks, one on each rack. BTW i figured this thing would be big enough, but i can already see a size problem hehe. Anyways i keep the temperature around 300 avg but did leave it for around 15 minutes and when i came back it had spiked to 350-360. I get the temp leveled back down and after the first hour i turn the steaks over, and add more water. 45 minutes after this i decide to lower the temp to 200 and let it cook till wife gets home. After a total of around 2 1/4 hours in the smoker it was time to dig in. Wife thought it looked raw but had to explain to her the smoke color that is added. Steak was around a medium to med rare in texture and reached the desired internal temperatures.

All i have to say is wow the steak was amazing and when the kids asked for steak sauce as they usually do, i told them they wouldnt need it. As my kids ate their food they said "you know dad, u were right, we dont need any steak sauce!"

Thanks to all that contribute to this site as ive learned quite a bit over the past few weeks reading on here. I have a OSU vs. USC party on saturday as im broadcasting the game on an outdoor 170" screen in full HD and having around 20-30 family and friends. Everyone raves about my usual chicken/buffalo wing recipes, ie fried then dipped in homemade sauce but they are in for a shock when they sink their teeth into the new SMOKED chicken wings. Im doing around 30 lbs of these bad boys so hopefully they turn out.

Sorry no pictures as i was in a hurry and tending to a 2 1/2 yr old at same time. I will take pics of the party preperation however.

Sounds like you had success on the first try congrats. Be sure to stop by roll call and tell us a little about you and your new smoker. I'll be looking forward to that Qview of the big wing smoke.

I sure hope he's not a OSU fan, if so it might explain why we haven't heard back or seen any Qview yet. LOL
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky