Smoked Salmon Experiments

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi, so I'm new to this smoking business, so I'm experimenting around. but I have a few questions about your methods.
I haven't check my temperatures but I'm smoking usually for only 20min max. So I'm curious to What a a 2 hour smoke turns out like? Is it very dry?
Also, I noticed for your cures you don't use a lot of salt. Can you technically go salt free? I'm just wondering how it all works. I'm wanting to get herbs into my salmon but ATM the flavours just aren't sticking, and the longer I leave it to soak the saltier it gets...
First, I am no expert. I have only been smoking for a year and a half and I am still experimenting. 

It doesn't turn out dry but it is firm and chewier than short smoked salmon. I do a recipe that is not smoked as long, http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/g/a/160771/peppered-salmon-for-canadian-thanksgiving/. It is more of a dinner salmon. These are for smoked salmon on an appetizer plate or a snack. These still have quite a salt taste but I don't know about going salt free. I think smoked salmon needs some salty taste.

As for the herb flavours you'd like to add. I would suggest brushing the salmon with some honey that has been heated in a microwave to give it a sticky surface and then put a generous amount of herbs on it. They will stick to the honey.

Keep experimenting and you will get what you like!

Disco

Hi, so I'm new to this smoking business, so I'm experimenting around. but I have a few questions about your methods.
I haven't check my temperatures but I'm smoking usually for only 20min max. So I'm curious to What a a 2 hour smoke turns out like? Is it very dry?
Also, I noticed for your cures you don't use a lot of salt. Can you technically go salt free? I'm just wondering how it all works. I'm wanting to get herbs into my salmon but ATM the flavours just aren't sticking, and the longer I leave it to soak the saltier it gets...
Sorry but, I can't imagine only a 20min max smoke.  What is your brine and for how long?  What type of smoker?  How long are you smoking?

Tried the top recipe, with a few changes. I added some cure #1 for a long cold smoke, followed by hot smoke to get the IT up to 155 used apple/maple pellet blend throughout. During the hot smoke, I added a maple glaze every hour. Some of the best salmon I've ever eaten. Also agree about reducing the salt, i'll do one less tbsp next time i think. I went for the long smoke as I like the drier salmon as well. Thanks for the recipe.

Tried the top recipe, with a few changes. I added some cure #1 for a long cold smoke, followed by hot smoke to get the IT up to 155 used apple/maple pellet blend throughout. During the hot smoke, I added a maple glaze every hour. Some of the best salmon I've ever eaten. Also agree about reducing the salt, i'll do one less tbsp next time i think. I went for the long smoke as I like the drier salmon as well. Thanks for the recipe.
Thanks for letting me know how it turned out. I'm glad you liked it.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky