Smoked Pork Loin - Any cooking tips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrmacthesmoker

Original poster
May 1, 2012
Hey everyone,

Just rubbed a 4 pound pork loin this morning. Did a simple rub - salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, etc. Going to smoke it using maple wood in my Masterbuilt electric.

Just wanted to get some opinions on how to cook the loin. I haven't smoked one before. Would you recommend cooking the fatty side up or down? Should I cook at a lower or higher temp?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Mac

yeahthat.gif

Kat

Bill has you on the right track. At an IT of 140*F the Pork is fully cooked and will be slightly pink. If you are feeding Old School folks go to 150*F it will still be juicy but no pink...JJ

Hi mrmacthesmoker

Know I am late to the game here but next time try this with a pork loin

Brush it with yellow mustard all sides and then sprinkle it with your rub, but don't rub or touch it and just let it sit for 30 minutes

Then cook it at 225F fat up for the 140F to 150F internal temp, but try peach wood for the sweet smoke. Peach is hard to get,, But you can since you have a Masterbuilt use half cherry and half apple in your chip tray for a sudo sweet smoke thats close to peach wood taste.

I just love my new Gen2 Masterbuilt Electric

SlicTrix/Greg

I have a pork loin 4.5 lbs that is already flavored from SAMs. I have an electric smoker. Should I smoke for 3 hours at 225? I want to get it to 145 internal.

I recommend maxing out the thermostat on your electric, in other words cook it at as high a temp as you can get. It will not compromise the quality of the final product and you won't have to wait for what may seem to be an eternity for the roast to reach 145°. I routinely cook pork loins and pork tenderloins in the 300°-340° range, did this one last night for dinner today, took about an hour and a half-

Here's a recipe I use. It comes out so good I no longer tweak it. The only variable is sometimes I do a bacon weave...and sometimes I don't.(I think it's better with the weave)

Smoked Pork Loin Recipe

[if !supportLists]·          [endif]Trim fat and all silver skin from loin.

[if !supportLists]·          [endif]Brine for 24 hrs.

Brine recipe

1 gallon water

¾ cup salt

2 cups sugar

2 heaping table spoons of Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub

2 table spoons of minced garlic

1 teaspoon of Rosemary

[if !supportLists]·          [endif]Rinse and inject approx. 3-4 ozs of SMOKE ON WHEELS Pork Marinade and Injection, per half loin.

[if !supportLists]·           Then coat with Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub.

[if !supportLists]·          [endif]May wrap a Apple smoked bacon weave around the loin.

[if !supportLists]·          [endif]Place in refrigerator, covered in foil, for 12-24 hours.

[if !supportLists]·          [endif]Prepare smoker. Use 2 small chunks of apple and minion method for charcoal.

[if !supportLists]·          [endif]Smoke at 240-260 degrees for approximately 2 ½ hrs.

[if !supportLists]·          [endif]Pull when internal temperature hits 140-142 degrees.

[if !supportLists]·          [endif]Wrap in foil and let it rest at least 30 minutes.

[if !supportLists]·          [endif]Cut, serve, and receive praise.

Try it....tweak it....make it your own.  :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky