Smoked/Grilled Chicken Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flash

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 30, 2007
Chiefland/Cedar Key, Fl
Would like to try smoking some chicken wings for the Football game. I have done chicken quarters before, pulling them when they reach 160º internal; then moving them to the grill and finishing them there to crisp up the skin. Trouble is wings have little meat to sink a digital meat probe. So at 250 to 275 smoker temp, when should I make the move to the grill to finish them off?
I am guessing around 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the smoker, then 30 minutes on the grill....but
any input is greatly appreciated and GO GIANTS!!!

I'm thinkin 30 mins on the grill is along time. If it was me, I think 5-8 minutes, flip/turn and another 5-8 minutes, toss em in the sauce, shake, and platter! I thought about wings for the super bowl party I am going to, but decided ona "carmel/bourbon smoked country style ribs". Its a new recipe floating around a couple other sites, that I am anxious to try.
I hope your wings and party turn out good.

have never smoked wings, only grilled..large wings 30-40 count in 5 lb bag take about 30 minutes on medium direct grilling..i used disposable grill liner sheets for easy cleanup and high temp grilling pam spray to keep wings from sticking..i marinate for at least 24 hrs before grilling..as i put wings on grill i dump remaining marinate on the wings, but stop marinating then..grill till desired crispness an shake in large bowl with lid to sauce up a little more to taste..carrots, celery, bleu cheese etc. optional but add plenty of beer for sure and napkins...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks Guys
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Squeezy, do you do any marinade on yours?
I was thinking just Memphis Rub, but may want some varity to the wings.

Flash,

I can't remember what kind of smoker you have, but why not smoke them ol' school. Put hot coals and wood on both sides of a direct grill and put the chicken in the middle. Get your grill up to about 400-425 and smoke them for about 40-45 minutes. Lay your smoke heavy, but not billows if the white stuff.

And....is there a game this weekend? The Superbowl? I hear that thing is the Daytona 500 of football.
wink.gif

Sure do ... use what ever you think would be good on chicken, even Italian salad dressing.
I like to use a rub of Cajun seasoning and serve with a doctored up BBQ sauce (dipping) with fresh minced garlic and what ever hot sauce or powdered chilis that you might like .... I like 'em hot!

Well I guess I could do them on the gasser and use some chunks?? There is going to be some ABT's and wife prefers them on the gasser also.
There WILL be hot sauce. You've never seen my pantry.....I've got that part FULLY covered.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Geek, I would try that but if anything is lacking for me it is conventional grill space. Most of my grills are small two person size grills. My smokers are both charcoal. ECB like peculiar mikes and GOSM.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky