Smoked Franks & Spicy Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

couger78

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Northern California
Such a beautiful summer day out, I decided to make a batch of beef & pork franks and some snack sticks.

I used two mixes from AC Legg. I had used their snack sticks mix before with good results. This time I wanted to add a little heat so I added two tsp of cayenne, two teaspoons of hot smoked paprika, and a tablespoon of hot chili flakes. This was for a five-pound batch.

I used 10 pounds of fine-ground (3mm plate) beef & pork (70% beef/30% pork) for both recipes. 21mm collagen cases for the sticks & 22mm natural sheep casings for the franks.

Got everything stuffed & hung in the smoker. Using apple wood pellets for smoke.

Figured I'd throw in about a dozen fresh jalapenos (chipotles) for later use.

All hung & ready to go:

7a18f82d_franks_in.jpg

No smoke for the first hour; just 120° heat to dry the links a bit. Then smoke.

Two hours in and the links are getting some good color.

52d60532_franks_2Hrsmoke.jpg

After a bit over 2 hours, I pulled the franks & plunged them into a hot water bath (175°).

7763c08a_franks_poach.jpg

The initial IT of the franks was 132° so I was curious to see how long they'd need to poach before hitting the mark.

04344191_franks_StartTemp.jpg

Less than 12 minutes later, I got my answer as the alarm went off so it was time to pull the franks from the bath.

ca5a6434_franks_atTemp.jpg

Cooling on racks by a large fan:

5c36919c_franks_bloom.jpg

Left to bloom for a while so I can keep an eye on the sticks still in the smoker.

7ecc1e08_franks_ready.jpg

The sticks took a bit longer (no poaching) so I increased the temp from 160° to 180° over the course of the next hour & a half.

Pulled & blooming along side the franks:

dcfaa7c0_franksnstix.jpg

f6234b0a_stix_bloom.jpg

The smoked jalapenos smell great. I'll keep these for another recipe.

9400144d_Chipotle.jpg

Tasting the franks: My boys have already eaten four of them. I'm very happy with both the texture & flavor of the franks.

Light bit of smokiness that really works well with the seasoning.

cdffa885_franks_slice.jpg

After a night in the fridge, I sliced up some of the sticks for 'easy access'. Not as HOT as anticipated, but I added heat cautiously this time.

ccae6eaf_stix_cut-1.jpg

Overall, a very satisfying experience. I'm always happy when the results are well received by my taste-testers.

—Kevin

95d7c3bc_frank_smile.jpg

They all look fantastic!!

So why do snack sticks shrink and wieners don't?

Todd

Todd
Cuz he put the wieners in hot water to plump the casings and bring to temp and let the sticks cool at room temp.

Todd
Thx, Todd— I'm going to take a semi-educated guess and say that the smaller the diameter the tubed meat, the greater the likelihood of shrinkage (
icon_redface.gif
) is to occur. In this case, the sticks had a longer smoke time—prolonged dry-heat exposure—and the franks were poached. If I had kept the franks in the smoker until the IT had been achieved, there no doubt would have been more moisture loss > shrinkage. If I wished to 'plump up' the sticks. a dunk or short bath in hot water can remove some of the wrinkles.

—Kevin

Super job, Cougar!

Did you get that texture with a single grind thru the 3 mm plate?
Thanks.

Initial grind of both beef & pork thru 4.5mm; mixed the two meats and then 2X through the 3mm plate. Added the ingredients next.

Sure a WHOLE lot easier and faster than the emulsifying process—with which I've had truly 'mixed' results. 
biggrin.gif

—Kevin

Last edited:
Boy they look excellent Kevin. Great color and the texture on that sliced view is perfect.

Nice job brother! 
2thumbs.gif

maybe a difference in the binders?

did you put a binder in the sticks cougar?

or maybe it's the emulsification.

I cold bath everything I take out of the smoker and my sticks always seem to have a bit of wrinkle to them
No binders. Just the mix & the meat & the cure. I fine-ground the pork (3.0mm plate) which gave a nice smooth texture without the hassle of emulsifying.

It's been a while since I made these....August? 
biggrin.gif

—Kevin

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky