Smoked Cheese: First of the Year

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thebig1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2016
Kingston, PA
With the temperature hitting stupid here yesterday and today, I decided that it was a great time to smoke some cheese.

I went and bought 5lb of Cooper Sharp cheese and 5lb of hot pepper cheese. Fired up the AMNPS with some apple pellets and left it go for 6 hours.

I left the cheese in the smoker all night to cool and mellow and vacuum sealed this evening for it's 2 week mellow.

The color looks amazing, I'm very excited to try it.

Attachments

• 20171110_203251.jpg
    20171110_203251.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 69
  • 20171110_203326.jpg
    20171110_203326.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20171111_123856.jpg
    20171111_123856.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20171111_202933.jpg
    20171111_202933.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 68
Looks like you got great color. Six hours I haven't gone that long yet. Usually I go three to three and a half. How strong a flavor do you get at six compared to three? Point

Chris

Looks like you got great color. Six hours I haven't gone that long yet. Usually I go three to three and a half. How strong a flavor do you get at six compared to three? Point

Chris

Nice job!! The cheese has beautiful color.
But that's sure a long smoke. Like Chris, I don't smoke more that 2 to 3 hour.
Gary

Thank you everyone. Chris and Gary, I personally think that it adds a great flavor to the cheese but please give me 2 weeks to try it before trying your own. I want to make sure that it's good.

I leant a friend of mine the AMNPS and he has the same smoker that I do. He did his cheese for 6 hours and gave me a block. I absolutely love it.

He actually does cheese for a guy who likes a 24 hour smoke on his cheese.

This is the first time that I've done cheese in my MES. Everything prior was on my offset. One thing that I noticed was that everything is more concentrated in the MES due to it's more confined space.

Next time try a block. Take the bulk of your cheese off at 3 hours. Leave a few blocks on. Take one off at 4 hours, another at 5 hours, and another at 6 hours. That'll allow you to determine what you prefer.

Chad

Thank you everyone. Chris and Gary, I personally think that it adds a great flavor to the cheese but please give me 2 weeks to try it before trying your own. I want to make sure that it's good.

I leant a friend of mine the AMNPS and he has the same smoker that I do. He did his cheese for 6 hours and gave me a block. I absolutely love it.

He actually does cheese for a guy who likes a 24 hour smoke on his cheese.

This is the first time that I've done cheese in my MES. Everything prior was on my offset. One thing that I noticed was that everything is more concentrated in the MES due to it's more confined space.

Next time try a block. Take the bulk of your cheese off at 3 hours. Leave a few blocks on. Take one off at 4 hours, another at 5 hours, and another at 6 hours. That'll allow you to determine what you prefer.

Chad

Like you Chad, I like longer times too, but I always use a "Light Smoke".
Like most smoking, a long time with light smoke is Great, but even a short time with heavy smoke can be bad.
I believe if yours was going to be bitter, it would be a darker color. Your color looks Great !!

Bear

Thank you Bear, that means a lot coming from a member such as yourself.

I certainly hope that it tastes as good as it looks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky