Smoked Cabbage

Discussion in 'Veggies' started by bassman, Apr 13, 2010.

1. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I thought I had posted this here, but didn't find it. In light of the recent cabbage posts, I thought I would throw this one in the mix in case anyone wants to try this.

Had to have a veggie to go with our rib eye steaks and the fatty, so decided on cabbage. Cored out the center and put in about 1/3 cup of butter. Topped off with some diced bacon and brushed with olive oil. Smoked with maple, pecan with a chunk of apple thrown in. This is some good stuff for those who have never tried smoked cabbage!

There was no need for extra butter. This has a delicate smoked flavor that does not overpower the cabbage flavor.

2. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Well I'll be!!!!

3. scpatterson

scpatterson Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Awesome!!!!!! Is very good but takes me for ever to get it cooked

4. How long did you smoke it and did you loosely wrap it with the foil or leave it open? Looks great and tasty!!

5. bassman

This one was a fairly small head (about 3 pounds) and took a little over 5 hours. I just left it on the foil as in the first pic and smoked for 3 hours. The I just folded the foil up around the cabbage and pinched together at the top and increased the heat to about 300 degrees for another 1 1/2 hours. Then opened it back up and reduced the heat back to 250 for another half hour until it was time for dinner.

6. pigcicles

pigcicles Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

7. treegje

treegje Master of the Pit

That is a thing of beauty!
    I'll have to give it that a try! [​IMG]

8. captsly

captsly StickBurners

All I can say is___-_____ I really don't know what to say, but I have to try this!

9. caveman

caveman Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Good job. Looks so good and tasty. Something for the wifey & her green health kick. Thanks. [​IMG]

10. cheapchalee

cheapchalee Smoking Fanatic

Cabbage and bacon kinda go together anyway. Now this is thinking just outside the box. [​IMG] Will have to try this one.

Chalee

11. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

That looks good i like cabbage so i will have to try this, does it come out nice and soft like when you do it in crockpot with corned beef?

12. bamafan

bamafan Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

NICE love me some cabbage. Have to try this. MAybe post a recipe type thing so I don't have to type down what you did[​IMG]

13. guvna

guvna Smoking Fanatic

great post! it's a novel idea...

14. bassman

Pandemonium, if you cook this in with corned beef, it would soften up more. Just don't put it in as soon as raw because it's basically cooked, just al dente.

BAMAFAN, if you just copy and paste the part you want you don't have to type it.

Thanks everyone for your kudos.

15. pandemonium

no i meant as compared to when you cook it in a crockpot? when i do the crockpot put cabbage in with the raw meat and cook em both all day, so the cabbage is nice and soft.

16. bassman

Sorry I misunderstood your question. This one wasn't real soft. To make it softer, you could add a little liquid to the foil and wrap it tight for an hour or so. That would actually braise/steam it done.

17. pandemonium

smoke and steam sounds good to me

18. You know you could almost core out the center of a cabbage, and put a can of corned beef into the center, and smoke it fer St. Paddy's day.

19. blades

blades Newbie

nice job, now I know what I'll smoke w/ ribs this weekend

20. blades

blades Newbie

nice job, now I know what I'll smoker w/rib this weekend