Smoked Beef Prime Rib Dinos (With extra Meat)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I bought 2 choice bone in rib roasts at $5.99lb. at Kroger. I Got them home and the bones were cut 3/4 the way off and tied back on. I've never bought bone in rib roasts or heard of them that way. I called the manager and said that last November and last December they were intact. This is their way of making it easy for people apparently to remove the bones and that I'll have to order the bones intact at the counter. Well these ribs will look more like lamb chops.
-Kurt
Yeah, like I said above, I hate when they do that to Prime Ribs.

I always look real close to make sure they didn't do that.

I think they do that because it's hard for most people to cut the Chine Bone off.

One time I ordered 8 roasts, and asked the one butcher to remove the bones & leave an extra 1/2" on the bone side of the cut.

He did alright, but I find it a lot less hassle to just buy it "Standing" and do it myself.

Bear

Yeah, like I said above, I hate when they do that to Prime Ribs.
I always look real close to make sure they didn't do that.

I think they do that because it's hard for most people to cut the Chine Bone off.

One time I ordered 8 roasts, and asked the one butcher to remove the bones & leave an extra 1/2" on the bone side of the cut.
He did alright, but I find it a lot less hassle to just buy it "Standing" and do it myself.

Bear
It was disappointing. Buyer beware. The first two were fine intact and I didn't know it's common to partially debone. But since others are familiar with this practice I'll just ask the butcher bone intact and untied because it's going to be processed at home.
-Kurt

It was disappointing. Buyer beware. The first two were fine intact and I didn't know it's common to partially debone. But since others are familiar with this practice I'll just ask the butcher bone intact and untied because it's going to be processed at home.
-Kurt
icon14.gif
  There ya go!!

Bear

Thumbs Up   There ya go!!

Bear
I have never seen the chine bone/feather bone intact on a rib roast. They were always already removed with just the attached rib bone. So when I got these two roasts it was like getting a slab of pork back ribs with 3/4 of the ribs detached with zero meat on them. It's suppose to be (CFO-CHINE FEATHER OFF) BONE IN.
-Kurt

Smoked Beef Prime Rib Dinos (With extra Meat)

These are for sure my favorite Ribs!!

I have always hated the way they remove nearly every little scrap of meat from the Beef Ribs before they sell them to us.

So This Is What I Do:
When I removed the bones from all of my Prime Ribs, I left about an extra inch of meat on the bone side of the cut, so I could have some Awesome Meaty Ribs. I’ve been doing that with all of my Prime Rib Roasts for awhile now.
I vacuum packed them individually, and kept them together in my meat freezer, so they’re easy to find.
This time I decided to Smoke 4 of the 9 Rib sections I had in the Freezer. Each Section has 2 bones.
These 4 sections weighed in at 7 pounds total. That’s nearly 2 pounds for each 2 bone Rib Section!!

Day #1 (Prepping Ribs):
Remove from Vacuum packs, Rinse, Pat Dry, apply Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce.
Then coat with Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder.
Put all the pieces in a big bowl, cover it with plastic wrap & put it in the fridge over night.

Day #2 (Smoking Day):
9:30AM——————-Preheat MES 40 to 230°. Also Fill 1 1/2 Rows of AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and light one end.
10:00AM——————Place all Rib sections on one MES 40 Grill Rack.
10:00AM——————Put full rack of Ribs on second position in MES 40.
10:30AM——————Place smoking AMNPS on the left end of the bottom rack of my MES 40.
1:00 PM——————Stack all Ribs in foil pan, add Foil Mixture*, cover with Foil, and return to second position in smoker.
1:00 PM——————Reset Heat to 240°.
3:50 PM——————Shut MES 40 down, and remove Pan of Ribs from Smoker, and take to kitchen.
4:00 PM——————Uncover, Separate Ribs individually, plate, take pics, add sides, take pics, Sit down & Eat.

Just for the heck of it, I checked the IT when I got them inside. They were all between 198° and 205°. None of them were “Fall-off-the-bone”.
These Ribs were very Tender, just like the Prime Ribs they came from.

* Foil Mixture:
6 ounces of Apple Juice.
2 ounces of Worcestershire “Original”.
2 ounces of Ken’s Honey Teriyaki Marinade.
Mix well——Then heat to between 150° and 200° before adding to Foil Package.

The adding of the extra 1” of Meat makes these Ribs Totally Awesome!!

Hope You All Enjoy My Pictures.

Thanks for looking,
Bear

Four sets of 2-bone Beef Dinos trimmed from my Prime Ribs, ready to Prep:
View attachment 340482

Close-up to show how much meat I left on the bones:
View attachment 340483

All coated with Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce:
View attachment 340484

Then they get a light coating of Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder:
View attachment 340485

On Smoking day, we move out to my Grilling & Smoking Porch:
View attachment 340486

Get my AMNPS going with Hickory Pellets:
View attachment 340487

I put the Ribs on rack #2 of my 6 rack MES 40:
View attachment 340488

Here they are ready to pan & foil with my foiling mixture:
View attachment 340489

Fresh out of Smoker & ready to cut into individual Ribs:
View attachment 340490

All separated & ready to devour. Look at the meat on those Babies!!
View attachment 340491

Bear’s first Beef Dino Rib with Roasted Red Taters & Sugar Snap Peas:
View attachment 340492

Leftovers for a couple more meals & some Awesome Sammies!!!
View attachment 340493
Bearcarver Bearcarver
That looks awesome Bear, happy anniversary brother.
Bear you need to screw a cutting board onto that top rail of the deck, if you're anything like me something will end up in the dirt after a bad balancing act. LOL!!!

Bearcarver Bearcarver
Bear you need to screw a cutting board onto that top rail of the deck, if you're anything like me something will end up in the dirt after a bad balancing act. LOL!!!

The 30 min. rule is always in effect when Da Bear is at the cooker! Like spilleed food would need a 30 min timer at his house...LOL

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
Bearcarver Bearcarver

Thank You Forktender!!
I never set food on the railing---My balancing abilities are No More!!

Bear

Reactions: forktender
The 30 min. rule is always in effect when Da Bear is at the cooker! Like spilleed food would need a 30 min timer at his house...LOL

I had a Smoked Chicken Thigh hit the floor one time. It was last seen flying over My Pet Cemetery.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky