Smoked a 14lb brisket in 5hrs...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xtexan

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Columbus,OH
Well almost.......I tried Ed's (kick *ssbbq)method of fast smoking and it turned out pretty good. I smoked @ 350*-375* for 5hrs and hit 195*. The flat was good but not much smoke flavor. I think this was my fault as I added oil to my spray and I NEVER do this. The reason I did it was to seal in the juices at high temps, but I have read that this is something you shouldnt do. I believe it now, because I think it sealed OUT the smoke. The point even though it hit 195* did not break down properly and thus rubbery. It is my understanding that the low and slow method is what breaks down the connective tissue. However Ed has great success w/ this method which leads me to believe it was my error. I wonder what I did "wrong"? Not really wrong because I was pretty excited that I smoked a hunk of meat this big in such a short time. Next time I try this I will slow smoke for the 1st two hrs, to insure plenty of smoke flavor(w/ no oil!). I also used my vertical, and the meat was crammed in there. The wind was blowing pretty good also, so I dont know if that had anything to do w/ smoke penetration, i doubt it. Ed suggested seperating the point from the flat before smoking, which sounds logical. Again, I enjoy smoking but am looking for a way to minimze time for family and biz.

Please give me your thoughts on this as I am very interested in making this work, as the pro's do.

My thought would be to start out low and slow to get the smoke flavor and then crank up the heat at the end for the finish. Never used oil before so can't give you much help there. Good circulation is important in my book, so I try not to stuff to much in the smoker, a full smoker is a good thing, just not stuffed to the gills. Only my opinions, others might vary!
biggrin.gif
Hope it helps some. Let us know how the experiments work out!

I was thinking about low and slow for 2 hrs. Then kick it up to 350* to 180*, the dropping it back down to 250* up to 200* internal temp.
Does anyone know if the temp MUST be low to properly breakdown connective tissue??

IMHO the only reason you smoke a brisket is to get the smoke flavor and allow for a melt in your mouth finished product. I know places like Coopers in Texas do thousands of pounds of brisket a week and do so with a very hot fire, 500 degrees or more.
For my taste and trouble I'll smoke it as long and as slow as possible. If I want quick brisket I grab the food savor packages of brisket in the freezer and throw'em in the microwave
icon_twisted.gif

As I have recently learned, temp is a decent measure for pulling a brisket off the smoker but NOT the complete guage. One of the main variables is quality of meat. I know guys who pay more for their cuts and consistently get better results, proven w/ yrs of experience. Now i'm not saying go out and spend $4-$5 lb. on brisket, most of us cannot afford this especially for biz. But this should definitely be considered as a factor.
I have recently learned that the best way to determine doneness is the simple insertion of the thermo. If it slides in w/ no effort "shes done"!
Also, I am going to stop buying 12-14lb packers cuts for my family, I always thought this was a must. I will start smoking flats only(w/ a nice fat cap) for small gatherings and packers for larger events.
Let me know if anyone has a different opinion.
That is the fun of it exchanging opinions and successes and (gasp) failures.LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky