smoke generator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steve1966

Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Virginia
Hey everyone, I was thinking about smoking some cheese and maybe some other stuff,so I built a cold smoke generator,and wanted to show it off and see what others think,I am not the greatest welder but it seems ok?

Much better welding skills than I!    Looks great, you should be able to use chunks, chips, pellets and lump very easy in that.   What's it going to be hooked up to...a smoke house or grill?

I have a hole drilled in the bottom about 3/8 " for lighting, hope to just dump out the ashes. The hole is on the side bottom.Anyone else made their own? I would love to see it.

Yea someone did just last week on here...it runs on an air compressor.

You'll want your air holes above where the ash will land or it'll choke off.

I have a false bottom in mine with a quarter sized hole covered with heavy duty hardware cloth!  Original bottom has a hole in it for air 1/4 drill bit.  bottom is held on by a pin pull pin take bottom off light put bottom back on will smoke for 6 hrs!

Yea someone did just last week on here...it runs on an air compressor.

You'll want your air holes above where the ash will land or it'll choke off.
I have a false bottom in mine with a quarter sized hole covered with heavy duty hardware cloth!  Original bottom has a hole in it for air 1/4 drill bit.  bottom is held on by a pin pull pin take bottom off light put bottom back on will smoke for 6 hrs!
Do either of you have any pictures?This is the first one I have ever used/made,mine has a bottom with nothing in it  but the one hole,should I go up higher from the bottom and drill more holes? Thanks for any tips.

I will get some pics taken on Monday for ya!  I run mine on a aquarium air pump.  Variable speed.  But when smoker is running right the heat rising thru my smoker pulls the smoke into smoker so don't have to run pump!  I can run sawdust and chips and chunks!  Going to try pellets!

Thats neat! Is there a certain height I need to put it.I haw never seen sawdust for sale do you make your own?

Good job on your generator.  If you can put some expanded metal a inch or two above the bottom it will provide good air across the bottom of the fuel and provide for ash.

Tom

You can get sawdust at almost any butcher supply house or vender!
Good job on your generator.  If you can put some expanded metal a inch or two above the bottom it will provide good air across the bottom of the fuel and provide for ash.

Tom
Thanks doc! I will be on the lookout for some sawdust.

Thank you, Mr T  I will get some expanded metal and try it I may have to cut it in half.

Originally Posted by steve1966
Thank you, Mr T  I will get some expanded metal and try it I may have to cut it in half.
Rather than cutting it in half.  Cut the expanded to near size, turn the edges up and press it in.

Tom

oh, Doctord1955 If you are still following this I would really like to see your generator. thanks for all the tips everyone.

That will work to hold your fuel in the chamber.  You will want to put a sliding plate of some sort on the bottom to control the air input otherwise your fuel will burn rapidly and hot.  You want it so you can open it to light your fuel with a torch then close it down to restrict your air input.  Hope I am clear.

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky