Smoke flavor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lee242

Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
Tn.
 I'm an X meat cutter but have not done smoking.

I bought an electric smoker and have tried 3 different types of wood and the taste comes out the same and not to good.Apple wood, maple, and a mixed wood.

The smoker has a 3X5" box for chips with a lid on it.

Pork but cut in half. Half for ham and half sliced in 1 1/2 slabs for bacon.

My process is.

1 Qrt water

1/2 cup salt

A good squirt of maple syrup

1 bay leaf

inject it and soak for 5 days

smoke at 225 about 5hrs.

I did the ham and bacon.

Neither came out looking like it should have both looked like a pork roast done in the oven with a lid on the pan, Pale and drab.

I think the temp was to high to let it get the color and outside rite ?

Would it help if I took the lid off the chip pan?

Any advice would be helpful.

The meat came out like pork roast because there was no cure in your brine. Please do a little research before trying again, as there are some pretty major health risks involved in improperly cured meat.

The meat came out like pork roast because there was no cure in your brine. Please do a little research before trying again, as there are some pretty major health risks involved in improperly cured meat.
I had the same thought. Also, if you are trying to do bacon 225 is too high.

What temp did you cook the ham portion to? 5 hours is a short smoke depending on the size.

Did you have TBS (thin blue smoke) coming out of the smoker vent?

This ham went for 10 hours

There is a wealth of knowledge on this website to get you making  bacon and ham like a pro. I suggest you do a lot of reading. The search bar at the top of the page is excellent and all you have to do is type in the subject you want to know about. Welcome to the forum. Happy smoking. Timber

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky