Small Brisket Cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

team ramrod

Original poster
Dec 7, 2015
Hey All,

Yesterday my roommate smoked up two, 2lb briskets. (he's a beginner) He smoked them following my instructions along with tips from Franklin BBQ, and the briskets came out tough. Smoker temp was 225, pulled the meat at 190 internal temp. I cant figure out why they came out so tough. Thoughts? 

If they were tough, then they weren't done.

Should have cooked them longer.

I usually pull mine at around 205, or when a probe goes in with no resistance.

Al

I've done a 2 lb brisket for my boss and was concerned about it being tough as it's such a small piece of meat. Once I got the IT to 160, I foiled with some pineapple juice and took it to 205. Came out tender and juicy. All in all, about 3 hours (4 if you count the rest) at around 240-260 in my mini wsm

Such a small cut of brisket probably isn't a good candidate for smoking.  Chances are that it was trimmed very closely with little fat which would help tenderize the meat and keep it moist during the smoking process.  

Remember the meat tells you when its done and not the timer.  Generally an IT of 205 will get you good results. But ... Test the meat for tenderness before you take it off the grate. 

Yea I dont think the 2lb briskets from safeway are a good cut either. He smoked until the IT was 190. 

At 2 pounds, the meat was likely a piece of either point or flat.  If the flat, I can see where it might be tough, especially if the grade is anything less than choice.

Yea I dont think the 2lb briskets from safeway are a good cut either. He smoked until the IT was 190. 
Next time try making corned beef with one!  That type cut is perfect for curing. There are a number of recipes on the site.  I'll bet you get better results.   Rubin sandwiches!!! b

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky