Shooters 1st Hot Italian with pics.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shooterrick

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 13, 2008
South Louisiana
My first hot Italian sausage is done and linked. I would recommend this recipe to anyone who likes spicy Italian sausage with a slight finish of heat at the end. This is a fresh sausage and so later today after drying some in the fridge, I will vac seal and freeze. Our spaghetti supper to night will be complimented by this sausage and if the fry test is a good indicator Sandy and I will be pleased. Process pics below:

I always premix my season blend before starting:

10 lbs of coarse ground butt and trimmings:

Mixed seasoning with chilled water and then with the pork:

A linking we will go a linking we will go:

10lbs Hot Italian Links

Well that about does it other than the packaging and freezing which we have all seen before. The recipe is below:
Shooters Hot Italian-Style Sausage
4 lbs lean pork butt,cubed
1 lb pork fat,cubed (I use pork trimmings)
4 t fennel seed
2 t anise seed
2 Tbs coarse kosher salt
1 Tbs fresh black pepper, coarsely ground
1 Tbs granulated garlic
1 Tbs crushed red pepper
1/2 cup chilled water
1 t dry sweet basil (optional)
1 t dry oregano (optional)

Prepare the casings. Grind the meat and fat together through the course disk. Mix the water and remaining ingredients with the ground meat and fat. Stuff the mixture into casings. Refrigerate and use within three days {immediately if using store-ground meat as this is not as sanitary as grinding your own), or freeze.

Beautiful sausage Rick, I gotta get on the ball, or on the link, and get a grinder and stuffer cause every time I see one of your beautiful threads it makes me want some homemade sausage...

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
points.gif
Be sure to get a shot of dinner for us
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Awesome qview Rick! Suasage is something I have been wanting to try and your post has moved the process up on my list.

Great looking sausage Rick. A buddy of mine brought me some fresh sausage from a local butcher who makes it himself. That was some of the best sausage I ever had. When I can afford the equipment I'm gonna give it a try as well.

Thanks for sharing.

The recipie and the finished product look really good. Gonna have to drag out the Kitchen Aid and get some goin soon

Thanks for all the nice comments. Unfortunetly Mrs. Shooter when making the spegetts sauce decided to split the casings and brown as loose bulk! Oh well no use in those pics of red covered sausage. I will say this. This recipe is excellent. Sandy thought was best Italian sausage she has ever had and she is picky about the flavor of Italian. Next door Italian girl said she had not tasted that Sicilian style sausage since her Grandfather died. Man I had to give her a few links after that.

it is a fresh sausage so that means no smoke, if he wanted to smoke it then the ingreds would call for a cure agent...

looks like some tasty italian shooter!!! thks for sharing!!!

Great lookin sausage Rick!!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
points.gif
to you buddy!!!!
I gotta try this.....
What kinda casings are you using????
I can't believe after all that work the wife split the casings and used it as bulk.....lol

That is some good looking sausage (and recipe to make it)!

Did you use the optional basil and oregano? That is a good recipe in that you can turn the heat up or down to taste by adding or subtracting the pepper flakes. For Sicilian style, which is my favorite, that anise really shows up.

Even when I'm stuffing sausage into links, I leave a pound or so out as bulk. Either wrap it in freezer paper or in small plastic tubs. A pound of sausage is about right for most pasta dishes to serve four.

Or the breakfast slop bucket, consisting of a nice wad of bulk thrown in a skillet and browned along with some bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, leaf spinach and a few cherry tomatoes. From the skillet onto a plate, then some cheese on top of that before you put two eggs over easy on top of all it it. Ticks don't get that full and happy before they pass out.

PS: If you use regular breakfast sausage or chorizo instead, don't forget the Cholula hot sauce!

Just answeres: LOL
No smoke is fresh sausage without cure as erain mentioned.
i kept it simple first time out and did not use the optional basil or oregano.
I was planning on reserving a pound but the last casing took it all so oh well. LOL
Thinks that is about all the answeres to the ?s. Oh natural hog casing. LOL

Thats some really great ooking sausage there Rick. I'm with fire and need to break down and go buy the sausage set up because evrytime I see fresh sausage I get it itch to make some.

Darn that is nice looking sausage!

I sure know how that feels when someone undoes something that took you lots of hours and much effort to do.

On My first date with my new Girlfriend, Now my wife of 46 years. I took her to the fanciest restaurant I could find in Vancouver BC. I ordered each of us the Fillet mignon. Dang things each cost about a weeks wages . I was just digging into mine when I looked over and nearly fell out of my chair when I saw her scrape off that wonderful Hunter sauce then glop a 1/2 a bottle of Ketchup onto that beautiful fillet. If she hadn't been such a hot chick I'd have snuck out on her.

Since that fateful day she has graduated from Chef School and has her diploma. She is a fine Chef with wonderful taste and hates it when I tell that story.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky