Shipping product to a friend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
I want to ship some Jerky Salmon to a friend up in WA from CA.  It was smoked for a couple hours then dehydrated for 6 hours.  Would it survive the trip if I vacuum seal it?  I would probably priority mail it.

Nope just smoke and then dehydrate.  A couple ice packs would probably be a good safety feature.

Did you use cure #1 and salt to prepare the fish ??  If not, vac packed and shipped in a warm environment, 40-140 deg F, is ideal for botulism to grow and/or pathogens....  read the links on Fish / Salmon etc. in my signature line.....    Dave

Any member reading this, please copy in your smoking fish section for future reference... 

http://seafood.ucdavis.edu/haccp/compendium/chapt07.htm

Packaging conditions that reduce the amount of oxygen present in the package (e.g. vacuum packaging) extend the shelf life of product by inhibiting the growth of aerobic spoilage bacteria. The safety concern with these products is the increased potential for the formation of C. botulinum  toxin before spoilage makes the product unacceptable to consumers.

Achieving the proper concentration of salt and or nitrite in the flesh of salted, smoked, and smoke-flavored fish is necessary to prevent the formation of toxin by C. botulinum  type E and nonproteolytic types B and F during storage and distribution. In salted fish, the salt concentration alone is responsible for this inhibition. In smoked and smoke-flavored fish, salt works along with smoke and any nitrites that are added to prevent toxin formation by C. botulinum  type E and nonproteolytic B and F (Note: nitrites may only be used in salmon, sable, shad, chubs, and tuna - 21CFR172.175 and 21 CFR 172.177).

Last edited:
Did you use cure #1 and salt to prepare the fish ??  If not, vac packed and shipped in a warm environment, 40-140 deg F, is ideal for botulism to grow and/or pathogens....  read the links on Fish / Salmon etc. in my signature line.....    Dave

Any member reading this, please copy in your smoking fish section for future reference... 

http://seafood.ucdavis.edu/haccp/compendium/chapt07.htm

Packaging conditions that reduce the amount of oxygen present in the package (e.g. vacuum packaging) extend the shelf life of product by inhibiting the growth of aerobic spoilage bacteria. The safety concern with these products is the increased potential for the formation of C. botulinum  toxin before spoilage makes the product unacceptable to consumers.

Achieving the proper concentration of salt and or nitrite in the flesh of salted, smoked, and smoke-flavored fish is necessary to prevent the formation of toxin by C. botulinum  type E and nonproteolytic types B and F during storage and distribution. In salted fish, the salt concentration alone is responsible for this inhibition. In smoked and smoke-flavored fish, salt works along with smoke and any nitrites that are added to prevent toxin formation by C. botulinum  type E and nonproteolytic B and F (Note: nitrites may only be used in salmon, sable, shad, chubs, and tuna - 21CFR172.175 and 21 CFR 172.177).
X2

I've sent snack sticks, summer sausage etc from CO to OH but nothing that doesn't have Cure in it and even then I get nervous and include the ice packs!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky