Sharpening grinder blades/plates etc.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
This works.....  It was not my idea.....   Someone else posted this method but, beings I'm old and CRS has settled in at times, I can't remember who.....    So here is what I remember......

....click on pics to enlarge.....

Find a glazed tile that has a very level, flat surface......

I used a 6" square tile.....

Waterproof (wet/dry) sandpaper.... I use 320 grit....

In a circular motion, run the knife on the paper....

I use a drop or 2 of dish washing liquid and water for lube...

Sharpen both sides if applicable......

Do the same with the grinding plate......

It will help keep it flat for good contact 

with the knife.....

Here is the waterproof sandpaper.....  EH!....

This works also for hair clipper cutters.....  

I've done it and it makes my cutters cut much better...

Of course they are 25 years old and this was the first sharpening...

Sharpening my Kitchener #12 really helped it.... Cuts through silver skin now.... 

I used the KA grinder today.... only had a few pounds of Chuck to make into burger......

Whomever posted this originally..... Thanks a bunch.....  maybe it was Roller or boykjo or eman or solaryellow or raptor or...........  

You know who you are.....      

Dave

I used the KA grinder today.... only had a few pounds of Chuck to make into burger......  

Dave
Nice Dave - that should help some people out 
icon14.gif

I thought you were banned from the KA after you fixed the gearbox 
wife.gif

duck.gif

779.gif

th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

I've done that with my grinder knife and plate as well and it does work good but it takes a little while to sand anything that hard. It is worth the effort!

Dave
Nice Dave - that should help some people out 
icon14.gif

I thought you were banned from the KA after you fixed the gearbox 
wife.gif

duck.gif

779.gif

th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
She got a new KA and I use the old one....  She didn't trust the fix I did on it.....   "You probably know how that goes"......
lurk.gif

I have my wet dry sandpaper glued to a piece of 1/4 plate glass so it is flat!  Always turn your plate or knife as u sharpen them!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky