sealant question

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by grindstaff3, Jun 19, 2008.

1. so i used the stove adhesive to attach my fire rope last weekend and by morning it had just fallen off. i went to the hardware store and found both high heat mortar and fire stop silicone. does anyone know which i should use?? both are made by DAP. the fire stop says not to use on stoves or fireplace that recieve constant high heat. well my chargriller is only a smoker, i grill on a weber kettle so the temps are never more than 300* tops but consistantly 225* to 250*. if anyone has any ideas please let me know i am smoking some ribs tomorroe afternoon and need to get this done by then... thanks guys

2. fireguy

fireguy Smoking Fanatic

yep, that adhesive always breaks loose. Used it on mine, against my better judgement.. then used high heat rtv silicon from menards... works great.. good luck.

3. fireguy

fireguy Smoking Fanatic

oops, guess i did not really answer your question...use the silicone... the morter wont have as much flex, similar to the cement that comes with the rope.

4. great thank alot. i hope it sets in time for tomorrow afternoon. it's kind of rainy and cloudy here

5. allen

allen Smoking Fanatic

Hey Grindstaff3, I used a red, high temperature silicone gasket sealer, I bought at Wally's about $3-$4 for use on my MES 40 and worked out great. Thanks to a member from the SMF, 2 months later and no problem[​IMG]

6. teeotee

teeotee Smoking Fanatic

Yep definitely red high temp rtv. Stuck some rope to the back of mien months ago and is still holding good. Sets up fairly quickly too.

7. mossymo

mossymo Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

grindstaff3
    I use Rutland 500º High Heat silicone sealant caulking for smokers, works great. First fridge smoker I made, I used it to attach fireplace gasket rope around the door of the fridge and it was still holding well after 5 years when I sold the smoker.

[​IMG]