Scrapple

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cajunsmoke13

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 7, 2008
Didn't know where else to post this one. I grew up in Central PA. and was raised on Scrapple. Loved it for breakfast. Can't find it in Louisiana. Anyone ever make it, any recipes? If there is a better place to post this, let me know. As always, thanks

Scrapple is a tough one. Kind of like bangers for the Brits.

Like has been said, depends who makes it.

Old saying goes. Sausages and laws are better not being seen made?

Is not scrapple like a sausage?

Yeah LOL only werse
icon10.gif

Thanks for the recipes...Gonna give it a try. I know what you are saying Irish, as soon as I was off the bottle, I think my mom had me eating scrapple.

wow - still I suppose someone had to come up with a way to make grits palatable :-)

Never liked any kind of cornmeal mush from polenta right on down to cornmeal tortillas.
But mixing it with pig snouts, liver, lights and the like is genius.
Take two fairly unpalatable products and make something that actually looks pretty edible.
A bit like a sort of meatloaf or haggis. Actually very like haggis. Which is minced pig organs mixed with fat and oats.
And weirdly despite the name Scrapple has no apples in it.

I've always associated the name scrapple with a brand of scrumpy (very strong cider - sort of lol)

You live and learn :-)

So who's going to make the first Scrapple stuffed fatty ? (call the er first that amount of cholesterol could well be lethal ;-)

Good luck with the recipes Cajun, I hope it works out for you.

Rapa is my favorite. According to Rapa's website, they will start sending out mail orders in November.

Kunzler will ship now.
http://www.kunzler.com/store/default...&product_id=12

I looked around for what I consider 'scrapple' because I grew up on Rapa, which is a fine blend of pork meat, liver and heart, broth, cornmeal and seasonings with a little kick. But I found there are many versions out there with buckwheat flour, barley flour, pork shoulder, onions etc. It all depends upon the region and/or family recipe I guess. It may take some research to find exactly what you are after in a scrapple recipe.

CA, scrapple (the word comes from scraps, not apple) comes cooked in a firm loaf, like a polenta, but much more firm than that. It is most likely a German farm recipe that was brought to the States. I think its origin almost certainly comes from the neccesity to waste nothing during hard times, hence the many different versions.

PA Dutch is a very old misnomer. They are really of German descent.

Anyway, the point I failed to make was scrapple is far too crumbly to make a fattie out of.

It could still be the filling. Sausage stuffed with crumbled scrapple and wrapped in bacon. Gotta love pork!

Sounds good. A fattie is one thing I have yet to make. I have been smoking all week and I am about ready to explode. Might have to steam some shrimp tonight for a little change. Scrapple production will start soon. Need some of that.

LOL just teasing Ken...the link i posted touches on the origins of scrappel...and the PA locals like to tease us "outsiders" about what actually is in scrappel.Talk about using the "whole" hawg!Hands down...I like your version MUCH better ,LOL.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

That's why I like Ken's version too.
biggrin.gif

Some of my elder relatives use the hog head to make scrapple and head cheese...something about that big head simmering in a pot, creeps me out.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

The finished product sure tastes good though.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky