SBC Sausage At Last!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shooterrick

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 13, 2008
South Louisiana
Snake Bitten Chicken Monterey Sausage at Last!

Last night I pulled 5 lbs of skinless, boneless, thighs from the deep freeze for SBC sausage. I had been promising this experiment for some time and finally got it done.
The flavor profile was built on my SBC rub and the results were good but mild for my taste. The recipe below is the modified version I would use next time. This version was made fresh with no cure. Next batch I may remove the salt from the SBC rub and do cured SBCM sausage.

Seasoning mixed with EVOO night before to meld:

Monterey Jack shredded and EVOO mix with chicken broth

Partially frozen 5lbs boned and skinned thighs:

1st grind large grind:

Chicken grind mixed:

Linked up and some bulk for the freezer:

Fry test: Good but mild:

The modified recipe is below. Overall the original recipe was good but mild.
Snake Bitten Chicken Sausage Monterey

5 lbs chicken meat (dark meat)
8 tsp ShooterRicks Snake Bitten Chicken Rub
1 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds, crushed
2 tsp. dried marjoram
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (high heat cheese if available)
1 cup chicken broth chilled
¼ cup evoo

Prepare the casings and grind the meat through a large disk. Mix the remaining ingredients with the meat. Chill the mixture for thirty minutes in the refrigerator. Grind through a small disk and stuff into casings. Refrigerate for up to two days or freeze.

The flavor profile reminds me more of a breakfast sausage than anything.

That Looks like a good recipe for chicken.....caraway seed? hum,,,,Cheese.....Diffently on my short list ,,,,,Sounds good
points.gif

Now I just need the Snake Bitten spice....lol
Where could a guy find that?

Thanks Rick,this might be a older rub but is new to me Thanks and
points.gif

Looks great Rick, are you going to try a cured version too...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Aaaaaaaaah, another chicken sausage...thinkin' my wife will really like this one! She loves the cold cut sausage I made, this should be a hit too!

Heh-heh, I just mentioned your SBC rub, she wants it printed......NOW!

Thanks Rick!

Eric

It looks mighty fine there Rick I'm just gonna have to add it to the other shooters rick recipes and I'm starting to get quite a few here.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Interesting mix Rick, now if I could only get myself to eat a chicken sausage.
Thanks for sharing the Q-view.

Ya I know. I was not as confident with this idea at first. I have always avoided chicken , turkey, sausage at the store. This is pretty good though. It reminded me of a breakfast sausage more than anything. Give it a try and let me know. Good or bad we learn from the input.

Hi, looks good, but I'm curious as to why the caraway and marjoram? As it is the SBC rub is great by itself.

Any plans to smoke or cure any sausage?

Well I have cured and smoked Kielbasa and my next will be a cured and smoked Andouille. The caraway and marjoram was a thought from when I made Chicken Monterey as usuall. Chicken breasts pounded, Virginia baked ham, spinich and monterey jack rolled up and bakeds.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky