Sausage Casing Storage Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2013
Massapequa, NY (Long Island)
A few days ago I soaked a bunch of casings in water in my fridge to stuff my gyro sausage. I soaked way too many for what I actually needed. Can they be stored in that water in the fridge for an extended period of time or should I return them to their original package with the salt solution? Thanks! Also, if I don't return them to the original package with the salt solution, how long can I let them stay in the soaking container as I might make some more sauage in the next couple or days. Thanks!

I put mine in a zip lock bag with just a little water and a good amount of salt. Mixed it up real good then threw them into the freezer. They should last at least a couple month's.

Dont put them back in the original container.  Get a plastic container and put your remaining casings in there.  Cover them up well with salt and keep them in the fridge.  This way they will keep for more than a year.  Do not freeze them.  Freezing can make the casings weak, they can loose their natural oils, causing them to be dry and brittle.  No need to even freeze for a short period of time because storing in salt will keep them preserved and in good condition.  Reinhard

Me to!! Thanks Reinhard!!! How much salt to how much casings or just eyeball it or what, did not know if there was specific amount of salt to water to casings?? 

DS

when I do mine. I start with just a small amount of water and heavy salt. I guess you could say 1 part water 3 parts salt. Shake it up real good for mixing. I usually put mine in the freezer and use them within a couple of month's, but Rienhard said that you can put them in the fridge for a year. I don't know about that, but if I knew everything I wouldn't be on this awesome site.

You don't need to add water.. The casings should have enough water in them. just add non iodized salt

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/159729/how-to-handle-natural-casing
icon14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky