Sauce Recipe Help

Discussion in 'Sauces, Rubs & Marinades' started by miata2k, Sep 17, 2014.

1. I have a marinade/”hot tub” sauce that I use for chicken wings that I would like to make into a thick barbecue sauce. The reason I call it a hot tub sauce is because I grill my chicken wings then let them relax in a “hot tub” of the marinade that is simmering on the grill.

I would like to take this marinade, which is fairly thin, and make it into a thick sauce. I have tried reducing it without adding anything else and I have also tried adding ketchup and cooking it down but neither worked well. The ingredients are below. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Honey

Lemon or Lime Juice

Hot sauce

Worcestershire Sauce

Butter

2. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

Try corn starch!

3. brooksy

Make a slurry with some water and add to your sauce should thicken it up.

4. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

You can do it like the commercial sauce guys do, use Xanthan Gum works well. A search on google will give a source and instructions on amounts to use...JJ

5. Brilliant!!! Thanks!!! I will try both this weekend.

6. brooksy

Make sure you let us know how it turned out

7. I know it's been a while but I finally got a chance to try the xanthan gum. It worked great! Thanks for the help!!

One other question. I usually make a big batch and refrigerate the leftovers. The problem I have is the butter tends to separate and solidify on the top. Is there something I could use instead of butter or something I could do to remedy this? Thanks.

8. brooksy

Don't think there is a way to keep the fat in butter from solidifying in the cold. Just barely heat it and stir the butter back in.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015