Saturday Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikey

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Decided to do up one of the "bargain basement" shoulders I picked up a few weeks ago.

Here's one in the foodsaver bag awaiting emergency surgery. The patient had insurance, so the procedure was approved.

The procedure was a success and 1lb 4ozs of fat was removed. The patient is doing well, resting in the recovery pan.

This is the side where the fat cap once resided. There's no point in cookin' what's going to come off anyway in my opinion. A waste of energy & it prolongs the smoke.

Top side prior to the application of my "so called" rub.

Looks like you're off to a great start, Mikey.
icon_smile.gif

So far it looks like a great piece of meat. Thanks for the bit of entertainment in the description, made me laugh. Though I don't know how I feel about the doctor eventually eating the patient, I guess I feel...hungry, yeah hungry about it.
Thanks for the great pics so far, can't wait to see the finale.

I'm 4 1/2 hrs in and here's an update. Internal on the shoulder is 137, so I've still got a ways to go. I'm using hickory & apple. Should be good. This is the shoulder on the lower rack & chicken thighs & taters on the top rack at the start. The temp at grill level has been between 235 & 240 depending on the wind.

Above is the chicken thighs after 3 hrs. I'll crisp up the skin on the gasser later. Below is the shoulder & spuds. I don't think that "bark" is going to be an issue as it's forming nicely. Rivet, my original thoughts were like yours. I didn't want the sugar to "conflict" with the flavors of the wood. The salt I feel does the same thing in my opinion. My goal is to have all of the flavors compliment each other. We'll see when it's all done.

looking really good so far, mikey - i'm still new to this shoulder thing, but i thought the fat cap was good in helping to insulate from temperature changes? not criticizing, just would like your thoughts on this - also, would like to hear about results with this and the no salt/no sugar rub, because all your innovations make sense and, if they work, are worthy of experimentation and usage ~ keep up the good work!

I pretty much stand with what I said at the beginning of this thread. To me it makes no sense leaving over a pound of fat on this thing for 2 reasons. 1) What ever part of the fat cap that is left is going to be removed anyway, so why waste energy cookin' it? 2) There's plenty of fat internally to keep the shoulder from drying out. In regards to insulateing the shoulder from temp changes, the only direction I want the temp to go is up.

nice shoulder...and all your suggestions or statments make pretty good sense to me. I think i may try this route next time i do a shoulder.

Here's the final installment on yesterdays' pork shoulder. Some observations;not being able to obtain "bark" without sugar in the rub is a myth. As a matter of fact the "bark" is almost the same consistency as the meat, it just blends in. I'll comment on the flavor of "my so called rub" in that thread. This chunk o meat took the big stall @ 162 and would not budge, so in to the gas fired metal box it went until it hit 201, which is close enough for the girls I go with. All in all, I think it came out as good as I had expected.

I went ahead and just pulled a couple of chunks apart for the taste test. The hickory & apple wood were very subtle. Thanks for following along & Happy Easter to everyone.

Man that looks good dude! Awesome job! Nice!!!!

So pork stalls for others too?

Really nice looking bark and recipe in all. You have enlightened us, Mikey.

Just have to know~ are the girsl you "go with" those two on your headline?
icon_biggrin.gif
Wow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky