Salt Pork and Pork Skins using the AMNPS and Pitmaster's Choice Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
After enjoying the Pitmaster's Choice in other meats, I picked up some salt pork to smoke for

adding to beans.... Baked and green beans and whatever needs bacon... Everything needs bacon.....

My last test, the AMNPS got dripped on from the meat above and the pellets went out..... 

So my steel trap mind remembered a tent type affair Todd had displayed on a thread some time ago....

Here is my version of the tent......  It worked great....  It is supported on SS wire about 2" above the pellets....

2 rows filled with Pitmaster's Choice pellets..... I plan on smoking the salt pork for 4 hours....

Then adding the pork skins from the picnic shoulder I'm grinding for breakfast sausage....

dd0a7c3c_AMNPSTENT2.jpg

Salt pork in the MES 30......

baf850cb_saltpork1.jpg

Another row of pellets was added to the AMNPS as well as the tent after this pic was taken....

I'm prepping the picnic and grinding as this smokes.......

ebcd78b3_saltpork2.jpg

4 hours of smoke.... into the refer over night.....   

4786b76c_SALTPORK3.jpg

Fry test 2 days later.....  The smoke flavor was as good if not better than I expected.... Pleasing flavor.... 

It has been soooo long since I had bacon that was NOT pumped....  

It was salty but I ate it anyway..... There should be a LAW against pumped bacon.... The salt pork was dry cured....

Said so on the package..... That is why I bought it......

I think I will buy more and soak it for a few hours and then smoke it to see what I get....  At $1.29  $2.05/ #..... why not...

c4545fcc_saltpork4a.jpg

After de-boning and skinning the picnic.... and grinding into breakfast sausage....  the hide went into the smoker for 4 hours.....

Put one chunk into green beans...  Great smokey flavor......  

The picture sucks....  the hide doesn't....

ea31a79c_PORKSKINfrompicnic.jpg

Thank you Todd..... The AMNPS and Pitmaster's Choice pellets have made smoking easier than I could have

imagined..... And the flavor of Pitmaster's Choice Pellets is a flavor anyone will appreciate....  

Dave 

Last edited:
Mmmmm looks delicious!  Loved my dad's - he sold it all three ways: fresh sidepork, with the rind on (off by request, but it was like eating a Porterhouse without the bone to knaw on!), Salt pork, in chunk or sliced, and bacon, with and without the rind (better with the rind, by far!).

got some good color on that......and yea, i bet it was salty!

That looks like the perfect ratio of Fat to Lean. A couple of questions...Is Salt Pork like that cut from the Belly? If so is it cheaper then fresh Belly? Is there Cure in it or just salt? Can it be soaked to reduce the salt? Might be dumb questions but Salt Pork is not some thing I have ever studied...Thanks in advance...JJ

That looks like the perfect ratio of Fat to Lean. A couple of questions...Is Salt Pork like that cut from the Belly? If so is it cheaper then fresh Belly? Is there Cure in it or just salt? Can it be soaked to reduce the salt? Might be dumb questions but Salt Pork is not some thing I have ever studied...Thanks in advance...JJ
JJ, morning.... Yes it is belly meat....  Ingredients on the label, "salt, nitrite".... not pumped, real bacon..... At $2.05/# it is about half of what I can get a pumped belly for, and it needs to be fried in some oil... There was no water running out of it when I fried it..  It was salty but I put up with it because of the meaty, chewy texture you would get from "REAL BACON", the dry rubbed kind that costs $10/# in the stores today...  Hempler makes it... I've done work for them....  welded up their equipment etc. years ago...  Dave

Nice, to bad their products are only available in your neighborhood...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky