Salt and Pepper Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I like my wings with bite through skin and a sweet/spicy sauce. However, She Who Must Be Obeyed, advised she wanted this batch to be crispy. She Must Be Obeyed.

I have always wanted to try Salt and Pepper wings so this sounded like the time.

We don't eat as much as we used to so I cut up 8 wings into sections and saved the tips for making stock.

I mixed together 1 teaspoon of black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt powder.

I tossed the chicken wings in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.

Then I mixed in the salt and pepper.

I had the pellet smoker preheated to 450 F and threw the wings on. I cooked them for 15 minutes and then turned them.

I cooked them for another 15 minutes on the other side.

While they were cooking on the second side, I mixed 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and 1 teaspoon of olive oil in the bottom of a small pot. I heated it up over medium heat. I sauteed 2 stalks of green onion, chopped and 2 cloves garlic; chopped fine. When the garlic was just getting a little brown colour, I took it off the heat and added 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce.

When the wings came off, I tossed them with the onion mixture.

Here is the finished product.

The Verdict

These were incredibly crispy. She Who Must Be Obeyed was pleased. I have to admit they were pretty good (don't tell her). There was a nice salt/pepper taste with a touch of heat from the Sriracha. I will make them again but I will say I am doing it just for her.

Disco

Disco: my better half has the same taste buds, they look great, it will be her treat this Sun. while watching the game with a few cold ones.  Thanks for the q-view and idea. 

WOW Disco, ya knocked another smoke outta the park !!! Very nice my friend & if SWMBO liked it.... Thumbs Up Very nice !

Wow, those look awesome! I love a crispy wing. I may have to renew my passport so I can travel up north and camp out in your driveway. Maybe if I stay long enough you'll feed me haha great cook!

Disco...those look and sound absolutely delicious! If your missus requested these, she is truely wise! And good on you to make her happy, while secretly pleasing yourself as well! Win-Win!

This recipe is definitely being saved to my "to do" list...

:points:

Nicely done, and thanks for sharing!

Red

Last edited:

You are wise beyond your years to know how to keep SWMBO happy!!

These look incredible. Points!
Har! I learned who was the boss soon after the wedding. Thanks for the point.

Disco: my better half has the same taste buds, they look great, it will be her treat this Sun. while watching the game with a few cold ones.  Thanks for the q-view and idea. 
Thanks, I hope you both like them.
Ummmm, I'm on my way to your house right now!

Yes please I'll eat all of those!

POINTS!!!!
Thanks for the point case. I'll have some ready for the smoker!

Wow. Points Disco.

They look great
Thanks, Adam!
WOW Disco, ya knocked another smoke outta the park !!! Very nice my friend & if SWMBO liked it....
icon14.gif
Very nice !
Well, Justin, the best praise is from the one you love! Thanks for the point.
Wow, those look awesome! I love a crispy wing. I may have to renew my passport so I can travel up north and camp out in your driveway. Maybe if I stay long enough you'll feed me haha great cook!
No need to camp out in the driveway. A beer buys a meal here.
Disco...those look and sound absolutely delicious! If your missus requested these, she is truely wise! And good on you to make her happy, while secretly pleasing yourself as well! Win-Win!

This recipe is definitely being saved to my "to do" list...

points.gif

Nicely done, and thanks for sharing!

Red
I always say that SWMBO has good taste in everything but men! Thanks, Red.

Reactions: SmokyMose
We have wings thawing for tomorrow because swmbo wants hot wings, but it's too unpredictable out for smoking. Those look like they'd be really good just out of the oven!
I'll have to get permission first, of course ;-)
Excellent cook, as always, Disco!
:points:

Nice wings Disco!  My likes em crispy too!  Thanks for sharing this cook.

Points!

Mike
Thanks, Mike. It is amazing how the desire of the better half effects your smoking choices.
We have wings thawing for tomorrow because swmbo wants hot wings, but it's too unpredictable out for smoking. Those look like they'd be really good just out of the oven!
I'll have to get permission first, of course ;-)
Excellent cook, as always, Disco!
points.gif
Thanks for the point. I would think it should be fine in the oven.

I like it!!! Simple, allowing the natural flavors of the bird and light charring to bloom with little enhancement, yet with a light touch of sweet & heat to carry it home.

And you can't beat high heat for a crisp skin. I hear ya on stumbling into a good process when trying to please SWMBO and finding it to be of great value in your arsenal...that's where some of my best has originated, and I've been carrying it forward ever since.

Nice work on those wings!!! Make me wanna grab some more wings for tossing on the kettle soon!!!

Eric

I like it!!! Simple, allowing the natural flavors of the bird and light charring to bloom with little enhancement, yet with a light touch of sweet & heat to carry it home.

And you can't beat high heat for a crisp skin. I hear ya on stumbling into a good process when trying to please SWMBO and finding it to be of great value in your arsenal...that's where some of my best has originated, and I've been carrying it forward ever since.

Nice work on those wings!!! Make me wanna grab some more wings for tossing on the kettle soon!!!

Eric
Thanks for the kind words, Eric!
Great looking wings!
Thanks, b-one.

Looks great nice job 

DS

Thanks, DS.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky